From what I can tell, 嘉馬電腦 means The Auspicious Horse Computer. Is this a reasonable translation? Is 嘉馬電腦 a normal-sounding brand name to Chinese-speakers?

嘉馬電腦 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_II_series#/media/File:Taiwanese_Apple_II_clone_Cosmo.jpg

嘉 is more like excellent or first-rate than auspicious. – user3306356 Feb 9 '18 at 12:36

Is 嘉馬電腦 a normal-sounding brand name to Chinese-speakers?

Yes, while I do not know this brand, it sounds like the kind of names a native would have made. You want your computer to run fast, like an auspicious horse, presumably.

Is this a reasonable translation?

No, because it would be difficult to make out what is the original Chinese. For proper nouns, it is probably best to use a romanization (e.g. pinyin) along with original characters in Chinese.

I would translate it to "Jia Ma Computer (嘉馬電腦)", or if the meaning is important, "嘉馬電腦 (lit. The Auspicious Horse Computer)"

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.