How do you interpret the phrase: "你的美如日; 你的智若猫头鹰" (Nǐ dì měi rú rì; nǐ de zhì ruò māotóuyīng in Mandarin)?

I'm trying to say something like: "Your beauty is like the sun; your wisdom is like an owl's".

• It is all wrong, we do not use the sun to represent beauty, and we certainly don't compare human's brain to owls – Tang Ho Feb 9 '18 at 21:34
  • @Tang Ho: Okay; how do you recommend I can improve this? I wanted to specifically include a reference to an owl. Also, what does the phrase mean as it is now? – HeadOfJarg Feb 9 '18 at 23:09
  • Owl as a symbol of wisdom is mostly a western children book visual representative, adults don't even use it, so you should drop the idea of using owl as a representative of wisdom – Tang Ho Feb 9 '18 at 23:40
  • Comparing beauty with the sun is nonsensical, you might as well saying "your beauty is like rock or paper" ; compare human's intelligence with animal's is always derogatory , for example "stupid as pig" or "cunning like a fox" – Tang Ho Feb 9 '18 at 23:48
  • Is it (close to being) grammatically correct? – HeadOfJarg Feb 10 '18 at 2:08

i would suggest:

其妍也﹒如冬之日﹒和煦可人

其智也﹒若夜之鴞﹒慎默覃思

here's a brief explanation:

his/her's beauty (妍), is like (如) the winter sun (冬之日), warm (和煦) & pleasant (可人)

his/her's wisdom (智), is like (若) an owl (夜鴞), think (覃思) carefully (慎) and silently (默)

如冬之日 do not indicate the sun itself, it implied the sunshine in winter.

then, 鴞 is one of the name used in ancient time for owl.

have fun :)

• Thank you for your great suggestions! 😍 (I initially used "鴞", but some translators didn't properly recognize it.) – HeadOfJarg Feb 10 '18 at 8:18
  • When writing this on paper, should the hanzi be ordered top to bottom, left to right? Should each section before a small full stop (﹒) be written in a new column, or each row in a new column? – HeadOfJarg Feb 10 '18 at 8:53
  • personally, i write chinese vertically, without punctuation. so, it's yes, top to bottom, left to right. about full stop and / or comma, it's up to you. the above suggestion should be in two column :) – 水巷孑蠻 Feb 10 '18 at 16:43

你的美如日; 你的智若猫头鹰

I'd say the grammar of your sentence is correct. It's another point as to whether your analogy, beauty to sun; wisdom to owl, is good or not. I can get wisdom to owl, and I have the difficulties to imagine beauty to sun. You might put some explanation for it in your text I think.

美如日月,睿智如鹰 might sound better.

grammatically correct or not, it is awfully phrased Chinese sentence. – Tang Ho Feb 10 '18 at 3:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.