In the following sentence:

正如我们之前说,Alphabet在企业投资者中似乎有些另类。

I assumed the usage of 所 in this case is, according to Pleco:

[as a noun without 的, esp. when the verb is monosyllabic]

据你所说

But in this sentence there is no preposition such as 据. The whole sentence would work fine even without 所 I think.

So what does the 所 work for and what meaning does it have, compared to the case where 所 is not used?

• 正如 simply takes the place of 据 here - they play the same role of the preposition you're looking for in this context. You can easily write 根据我们之前所说; while not meaning the same thing, it has the same grammatical structure. – droooze Feb 22 '18 at 14:42

正如我们之前(说)= Just as we (said) previously- 说 is a verb here

正如我们之前(所说)= Just as (the words) we (said ) previously

"我们所说" is short for "我们()说的話" = "the words (that) we said"

therefore, "我们所说(的話)" is a noun

When you say "正如我们之前(说)" you have to follow it with a quote of what was said

When you say "正如我们之前(所说)" you can follow it with a quote of what was said or omit it and presume it is known

ABC

CONS.

1 ~ V de that which

我所说的(话)

what I said

So if we want to get into semantics I think that 我所说的 would be better put as: the things that I said, especially looking at ABC's definition.

Like you said, taking away 所 would still be valid: 我说的 but that would just be the difference between what I said (我说的) and the things that I said (我所说的).

Now coming back to 据你所说.

ABC

CONV.

according to; on the grounds of

据他说...

According to him...

but if we add 所: 据他所说的 now becomes: according to what he said.

所x is referring to the object of the verb x, and makes the phrase nominal.

e.g.:

• 所见 what we see
  • 所言/所说 what we say
  • 所闻 what we hear
  • 所想 what we think
  • 日有所思,夜有所梦 what you thinking in the day is what you dreaming in the night

"汉语800虚词用法词典"所二,用在做定语主谓词组的动词前面,表示中心词是受事 used before the verb in a subject-predicate structure to make it passive (applies to #1)所+动词/动词词组+的+名词/名词词组(1)我所认识的人中没有叫彼得的。(2)我把自己所想到的几个问题都说了,希望大家商量一下,看怎么解决。(3)我们所提的意见和建议不一定对,希望领导考虑吧。(4)现在,大学生们所关心的问题主要是毕业以后就业问题。(5)现在群众所关心、所议论的热点问题还是教育改革、医疗改革和住房改革问题。(6)一些留学生给学校领导所提的这些意见和建议,学校领导一定会认真研究,然后给大家一个满意的答复。四、用在动词前面,跟动词组成体词结构used before the verb to form a substantive structure (applies to #2) 1.所+单音节动词(1)来了四五个学生,我包了一百多个饺子差不多都吃完了,所剩无几。(2)今天是自助餐,大家随便吃,各取所需(3)所说那里不错,我们就去了,结果大失所望(bkrs:greatly disappointed)。(4)传说这首诗为大诗人李白所作,其实不是。(5)随着经济改革的成功,政治改革就是大势所趋,人心所向(6)看人不能只看他怎么说,还要看他怎么做,从一个人的所作所为,就能看出他到底是个什么样的人。(7)如这篇文章所说,一个人做点儿好事并不难,难的是一辈子做好事,不做坏事。(8)他视金钱如粪土,你说做官是受苦,真是英雄所见略同(bkrs:have similar views)。

• can you format your answer to make it more readable, please. – user3306356 Feb 24 '18 at 8:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.