呀 and 啊 both seem to be used in the end of sentences for exclamation, and the only difference that I can think of is that the pronunciation in Putonghua (Mandarin) is different. In Cantonese, even the pronunciation is the same. Do 呀 and 啊 mean the same thing and can be used interchangeably or are their meaning different?

• see grammars or dictionaries, e.g."汉语800虚词用法词典":呀[助](aux。)used in place of 啊 when the preceding character ends in the sound a,o,e,i,or v (u umlaut) 是"啊"受前一字韵母a,o,e,i,v 的影响而发生的音变。
    – user6065
    Mar 3, 2018 at 13:41
  • Reading all the questions here makes me doubt whether I am really a Chinese. I have never thought about this before. :-)
    – Yu Zhang
    Mar 3, 2018 at 16:19

3 Answers 3

ABC's entry for 呀 says:

ya5

(replacing a (啊) when preceding word ends in a, e, i, o, or (y)u)

快来呀! Kuài lái ya! Come quickly!

呀 is a replacement for 啊 when it comes after a vowel.

This is also corroborated by《规范》's entry:

助 “啊(a)”受前一个音节末尾音素ɑ、e、o、i、ü的影响产生音变而采用的不同写法

说话(huà)呀 | 车(chē)呀 | 你说(shuō)呀 | 起来(lái)呀 | 快去(qù)呀。

It's a hard question.

They are interchangeable most of time in this usage without affecting meaning. I can't think of an example in which you can only use one over the other.

To me, 呀 sounds more folksy, while 啊 sounds a bit more formal.

• 我这儿经常听到‘啊懂啊?’,从来没听到‘呀懂呀?’
    – Pedroski
    Mar 3, 2018 at 22:32

The simplistic way to remember it is: they are various forms of 啊 depending on (the shape of the mouth in) the ending sound of the previous syllable. There're also 哪 which is 啊 preceded by a final n-sound (人哪 Oh people!); 哇 (好哇;不够哇);啦 (preceded by 儿 sound in Northern-speak);etc.

However, there is still a difference between them in some cases (need more context), sometimes conveying surprise, disbelief, amazement, etc.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.