Is it correct that 几点 is for asking specific time in oclock...while 什么时候 is more general and can be answered specifically in oclock or a period of time such as morning, noon, night ?

I often heard 现在几点. But, is 现在是什么时候 or 现在什么时候 can also be used ?

Can i also replace "你什么时候有空" with "你几点有空" ???

Would means a lot if you guys can help me out..thanksss

• 什么时候?when?at what time? Since 点 can mean "o'clock" (hour in some languages) e.g.十二点十分,evidently 几点 when? what time?would expect a more precise answer (involving "o'clock" ) Asking for the (exact) time: 几点钟了? What’s the time?; What time is it? – user6065 Mar 7 '18 at 22:46

Is it correct that 几点 is for asking specific time in oclock?

"几点" = "what hour". It could be 10:04 or 10:24, so it is only specific for the 'hour', not the specific 'time (moment)'. You can just answer by stating the hour; However, people asking 几点 is actually wanting to know "what hour and minute (the precise time)". We usually reply to this question with the precise time on the clock.

while 什么时候 is more general and can be answered specifically in oclock or a period of time such as morning, noon, night ?

Yes.

"现在是什么时候" = "what time is it now", it can mean specific time on the clock. For example, "现在是 10:24" ; it can also be used generally to refer to a period of time such as morning, noon.

Can i also replace "你什么时候有空" with "你几点有空" ???

No, "你什么时候有空" refers to "which day and what time" ; "你几点有空" doesn't ask what date it will be. You can only replace "你什么时候有空" with "你几点有空" when the date in known

It can refer to any specific moment. For example " 现在是时候回家了" (it is time to go home)

to specifically ask for the precise time on the clock, you can say "现在是什么钟数?" or "现在是几点钟? "

• So can 几点 answered by all : date, moment and oclock?? When you say that i can only use "你几点有空" when the date in known..did you mean that i have to state the date in the questions like 你明天几点有空 or i can just use 你几点有空 as long as the listeners know the date?? And is 现在什么时候 without 是 is also correct for asking what time is now?? Thnkss:)@Tang Ho – Kayra Mar 8 '18 at 6:28
  • You can ask "你明天几点有空" (what time tomorrow will you have free time" to get the exact time.); If you just say "你几点有空?" you have to state the date of the event in the same sentence or in earlier sentence in the same dialogue . for example "我们明天去参加彼得的派对, 你几点有空?" – Tang Ho Mar 8 '18 at 8:48
  • the verb 是 can be omitted in "现在是什么时候" because it is strongly implied ( note: 现在什么时候 has no verb) – Tang Ho Mar 8 '18 at 8:51

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.