There are several expressions to ask someone's age. That which I am most familiar with is “他几岁?”. However, I am informed that this can only be used for children (I think the problem is the 几, which implies a small number). How can I ask someone's age if they are an adult? Or perhaps asking how old someone was when something happened?

For example:

• How old is he (e.g. your father) now?
  • How old was she when the accident happened?
  • How old are you? (say, in the hospital, a nurse might ask a patient)
  • search web using e.g. "asking s.o.'s age in Chinese" – user6065 Mar 19 '18 at 21:09
  • As a side note, some people may prefer not asking ages directly: They use "你属什么的" to ask for 生肖 and then guess one's age based on it. – tsh Mar 21 '18 at 8:29
  • 看起来好年轻啊,如果对方愿意回答的话,可能会说都已经40了。 – Daniel Yeung Mar 23 '18 at 1:26

There are several ways to ask someone's age and they vary from neutral to very polite. "他几岁" implies that the answer is within 1-9 range, since 几 should not be used for numbers greater than 9.

As for other ways to ask the age question (all of them apply to adults):

• 你多大? - neutral
  • 您多大年纪? - polite, usually used for eldery people
  • 您贵庚? - very polite and very formal
  • Should I say 你年纪多大 or 你多大年纪? – Blaszard Mar 20 '18 at 7:28
  • I am fairly certain that both are ok. – kash Mar 20 '18 at 15:22
  • Also, it might be politer to add a 今年 when asking. – user3306356 Mar 21 '18 at 7:13

The answer up there is good. I just want to add a little bit about how a nurse ask your age. In the hospital or police station or other kinds of bureaux, you are usually asked "您/你的年龄是多少?"or just "多少岁?".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.