Wiktionary gives the meaning "you" for the character 妳 (nǐ), and tā (either 他 or 她).

Is there a formal / informal difference? Which should I prefer in general usage?

Wiktionary (1) does not give the reading hăi for and (2) does not give the meaning "you" for . Please revise the question - as of now it doesn't make sense. – dROOOze Mar 23 '18 at 18:10
  • Oops! I was dealing with a notepad full of chinese characters on the train via my phone's copy and paste. I must have mixed them up. – Finn O'leary Mar 24 '18 at 1:03

妳 is in theory a feminine form of 你, but it's rare because not many people care about the supposed masculinity of the 亻element. 他 and 她 are 'he' and 'she' respectively, as any reasonable dictionary will tell you. There is a formal/informal distinction for 'you', but it's 你(normal) and 您(formal).

Whatever your sources are for the reading 'hai' and the meaning 'you' for 他, you should ditch 'em, they're unreliable.

| improve this answer | |
  • It’s so fluid!! – Mo. Mar 24 '18 at 3:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.