I read the first two pages of 狐狸的窗户 (Húlí de chuānghù) = The Fox's Window (douban.com) on my Kindle, and encountered several 4-character phrases:

Some of these should be considered chengyu (成语, chéngyǔ), but others look like they just happen to have four characters. I'm wondering if there's a way of deciding which are chengyu and which are not.

Question: What's distinguishes a chengyu (Chinese idiom) from a 4-character expression?

It's possible this question is related to Are there any chengyu or xiehouyu that only mean their literal meaning? Maybe if it has a figurative meaning, then it's a chengyu, and otherwise not.

From

成语 versus 俗语 versus 谚语, what is the difference?

成語 (idiom) include "situation description" , "common sense", and "words of wisdom". Mostly came from known historical references, like poems, classical literature or famous quotes by historic figures .

4-character expressions are common phrases from unknown origin, just happen to have four characters, they are "idiomatic expressions" but they are not true idioms.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.