In Cantonese, you often say 轉行 (zyun3 hong4) to say "switch industries". What's the Mandarin equivalent?

  • bkrs:zhuǎnháng 转行 ① 从一个行业转到另一个行业;改行。 ② 写字、打字或排版等,从一行转到下一行:抄稿时,标点符号尽量不要转行。[change one's profession] 改行
    – user6065
    Apr 16, 2018 at 0:46
  • 3
    This term is used in both Cantonese and Mandarin
    – Tang Ho
    Apr 16, 2018 at 1:14
  • 1
    行 is pronounced /hong/ not /haang/ in Cantonese.
    – monalisa
    Apr 16, 2018 at 2:43
  • 1
    换行 is similar to 转行, both means to change profession and to start a newline. In almost all cases, we use 转行 for changing profession, equals to 改行 in this case, and 换行 for starting a new line.
    – xenophōn
    Apr 17, 2018 at 3:41
  • It's zyun3 hong4. 行 ha[a]ng4 vs hong4 vs hang6...
    – dda
    Apr 23, 2018 at 8:40

2 Answers 2


First: 《广州话-普通话》 indicates that 转行 is

Cantonese. This has probably changed since it was published but they also give the Mandarin equivalents:


《广州话方言词典》 also gives the same two Mandarin equivalent words, in opposite order:


改行 is probably the most colloquial option.

  • thanks so much! do you mind sharing this cantoese-to-mandarin dictionary you used?
    – Crashalot
    Apr 16, 2018 at 3:50
  • @Crashalot They're both Pleco add-on's. You can find their descriptions here: store.pleco.com/products.php?ios=1 Guangzhouhua Fangyan Cidian - $9.99 (version 3 only) Chinese-Chinese dictionary of Cantonese-specific vocabulary with approximately 8000 entries, from Commercial Press. && Guangzhouhua-Putonghua Cidian - $9.99 (version 3 only) Cantonese-to-Mandarin (focused on diffs between them), 10k entries. It's probably better to purchase in app though.
    – Mou某
    Apr 16, 2018 at 3:52

转行 is also acceptable in Mandarin. Here's a dictionary entry indicating that it's an alternative to 改行:

◎ 转行 zhuǎnháng

[change one’s profession] 改行


If you search for 转行 you will also find many non-Cantonese-specific results, like this: https://baike.baidu.com/item/%E8%BD%AC%E8%A1%8C

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.