I know it's possible to the use perfective aspect particle 了 for future events, eg:

你家少爷长大了准能当个二流子。

I have yet to find example of similar occurrences with 过. Is it even possible to use it in other situations than past events?

• Deserves upvotes, not downvotes! The distinction between aspect and tense is a major reason that Chinese particles can be difficult to learn (coming from an English-speaking background), so showing examples where particles that could be misunderstood as "past tense" are used in the future is useful in explaining the distinction! Mar 21, 2013 at 21:15
  • Chinese language doesn't have a strong sense of Tense as in English. Tense in Chinese is something conveyed by the whole sentence, not by individual (or group of) character/particle/phrase in the sentence. More often than not the tense of a sentence depends on the context. Example A: "你长大了" by itself is almost same as present perfect tense in English, but "你长大了就明白了" talks about the future. Example B: "我去邮局取包裹" by itself is almost same as simple present in English, but in "我昨天收到邮局发的领取包裹通知单. 我去邮局取包裹. 在回家的路上碰到了他." it talks about the past. Mar 22, 2013 at 0:38
  • @孤影萍踪 I agree, and that's why I commented. Chinese doesn't have grammatical tense, it has grammatical aspect. That's why it's important to show that and are not about tense. Mar 22, 2013 at 2:57

4 Answers 4

In short, yes, only for events in the near future.

等我喫過(了),咱們再走。 (= 喫了再走)
等我玩過(了),咱們再走。 (= 玩了再走) It's better to use "玩夠了" in this case.
等我弄過(了),咱們再走。 (= 弄了再走)

You must say "等 sb" to make it natural.

Note: this is less used than only a "了".

• I think 够, as in 玩够了 would be more appropriate for the cases you mentioned.
    – 杨以轩
    Mar 17, 2013 at 15:52
  • @QuestionOverflow Yes you are right. I've changed it =) Mar 18, 2013 at 13:44

Some times you don't have to say 等。

我们吃 过(了) 饭后就去看电影。

明天,我们的行程是:上午去看画展,看 过(了) 画展后去海边游泳。中午……下午……

过(了) 这封信,你就知道他为什么离开这个城市了。

These sentences mentioned above are misleading, as 过 is not the experience aspect marker in them. It is an RVC, so the usage is different. The aspect suffix can not be followed by 了.

• I think other answers are trying to highlight the use of the particle in future perfect.
    – L Parker
    Aug 9, 2021 at 23:43

过 used in sentences above is not a particle, it is a resultative compound. Particle 过 can not be followed by 了, so the sentences are correct, but the usage of 过 is different.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.