Epenthesis is a process that inserts a syllabic or non-syllabic segment within an existing string of segments. For example, it is common in casual speech for English speakers to insert a (p) in between [m] and [θ] when pronouncing "warmth" /morm(p)θ/. I am wondering if Mandarin has epenthetic sounds as well, and hopefully someone can give me some examples and reference.

I cannot think of any epenthesis (增音) examples in Mandarin, but it exists in some dialects of Chinese. Here are some examples in Beijing dialect, from this webpage: 教育部语言文字应用研究所 - 普通话语音和北京语音的界限.

1) 增加声母:

这儿 “儿” er-her
女儿 nǚ'er-nǚher (或变为nǚhuor)

2) 增加韵尾:

把水倒净 “把” bǎ-bǎi
闭上嘴 “闭” bì-bìn
枳棘 “棘” ji-jin
八下里(各方面) “下”xià-xiàn
告诉 “诉” su-song

3) 增加介音:

一般儿大(同样大) “般” bān-biān
动撼(动) “撼” han-huan(或更变hun)
凑合 “合” he-huo

I think the third case is close to what you are looking for (though it's a dialect but not Mandarin), where additional segments are inserted between initials and finals.

Relevant experiences

I've met many people who will possibly do a similar thing due to they find it hard to pronounce some particular words in a standard way. However, even they know they are inserting syllables, some of them still think that they are speaking Mandarin rather than a dialect. But who can tell? I have no idea how to clearly draw the line.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.