I have a couple of Chinese sentences that I have been struggling with. I know basic grammar order: Subject, Time, Place, Verb, Object but I am unsure how to construct sentences of this nature: ex. I want to have practice outside I want practice to be outside I want to practice outside. In Chinese, would all of these questions be phrased the same?

I want to have practice outside - 我想在外面進行練習

In this sentence, "have" is a verb "practice" is a noun. "have practice" means "to engage in practice" which is "進行練習" in Chinese

I want practice to be outside - 我想練習在外面進行

In this sentence "practice" is a noun object, "to be outside" implies " to be held outside", which is "在外面進行" in Chinese

I want to practice outside - 我想在外面練習

In this sentence "practice" is a verb, and "outside" is a preposition & adverb, which is "在外面" in Chinese

• Thank you. Just one question- I have always learned location comes before verbs. Why does 想 come before the location words? – Beginner Apr 26 at 14:56
  • @Beginner "我想 (I want)" is the main phrase, "在外面練習(practice outside)" is the relative phrase, As you can see, in "在(外面)(練習)" , it does place the location 外面 before the verb 練習, If the sentence is just "我在外面練習" (without the verb 想), it would be a common sentence, with location come before verb – Tang Ho Apr 26 at 18:52

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.