I keep hearing:

• zuang [tsuaŋ]

and

• luang [Ĩuaŋ]

for 这么 and 那么, respectively.

I believe it is Minjiang dialect (岷江话, 岷江小片).

I've flipped through a couple of books I have but I haven't been able to find anything to corroborate what I'm hearing.

There is documented evidence for both zang and lang but none for the added [u] sound.

I'd be interested to find anything that documents z(h)uang and/or luang (maybe even nuang) from any dialect or language.

• See the Wiktionary page on dialectical synonyms of 這麼, some of the other words used there may match. Try to check non-Mandarin terms as well, some of them might diffuse across into Mandarin. Unfortunately they don't have a corresponding page for 那麼. – droooze Apr 29 '18 at 7:08
  • Where do you hear them? That information might be a helpful piece of context to put into the question. – Zuoanqh May 1 '18 at 11:36
  • @Zuoanqh Minjiang dialect areas. – user3306356 May 1 '18 at 14:06

「這麼」and「那麼」have the same meaning.

For example,

You are leaving "so" early. ==> 你「這麼 / 那麼」早離開

• Correct me if I am wrong. – Corey May 11 '18 at 1:20
  • I don't understand why the answer from a Chinese native speaker can get downvote. – Corey May 11 '18 at 1:33
  • Thanks for participating in Chinese StackExchange. Please consider reading the question again, which asks if there are words from other Chinese topolects which sound like “z(h)uang” which means 這麼 and “luang” which means 那麼. The question does not ask what 這麼 and 那麼 means, which is what your answer provides. – droooze May 11 '18 at 2:00
  • Ok, downvote my answer please. – Corey May 11 '18 at 2:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.