Every single source I come across on google list the IPA of pinyin x as /ɕ/, or the voiceless alveolo-palatal fricative.

However, the sample sound on Wikipedia is quite distinct from it -- to me (born and raised in Beijing), it sounds more like pinyin sh, rather than x.

• What is, with sources, the correct IPA for pinyin x?
  • If it is the voiceless alveolo-palatal fricative, what is, with sources, the correct pronunciation of it?

I managed to find another website, which would be correct according to me, as the pinyin x's pronunciation: http://www.internationalphoneticalphabet.org/ipa-sounds/ipa-chart-with-sounds/

• I think you should forgive the reader, as he may be reading a sound that does not exist in his mother tongue. – fefe Apr 30 '18 at 7:35
    The pronunciation on the website you found should be better than the Wikipedia version. Just click the IPA symbols. (claimer: I am not a linguist, but a native Chinese). – fefe Apr 30 '18 at 7:39
  • You think this sounds like pinyin sh? I entirely disagree. Pinyin sh sounds like this. – droooze Apr 30 '18 at 9:25
  • @droooze well, it sounds more like sh compared to how x should sound. that's the point. – Zuoanqh Apr 30 '18 at 9:37
  • Do you think this sounds like ? Anyway your question says it sounds more like pinyin sh, rather than x, which is not the same as it sounds more like sh compared to how x should sound. These IPA transcriptions are not for one sound (which is impossible), but for a narrow range of sounds. You cannot possibly say that the Wikipedia sample sounds more like sh than x. – droooze Apr 30 '18 at 9:40

Help:IPA/Mandarin on Wikipedia has x listed like this:

ipa

Wiktionary:ɕ has audio you can listen to too.

This is a bit of a random source but here it is anyway.

《哈尔滨方言词典》[ɕi]

yup

WordyEnglish's Pinyin 拼音, Zhuyin 注音, IPA Comparison also shows:

enter image description here

ɕyɛn

Bopomofo letter ㄒ which represents "x" is also exclusively:

(phoneme) IPA(key): /ɕ/

From《漢語拼音方案》we can see the following:

hey

where x again matches up with zhuyin ㄒ or IPA /ɕ/.

Sh on the other hand is listed as:

ʂ

Wiktionary:ʂ also has audio you can listen too here.

《哈尔滨方言词典》[ʂɿ]

yes

As you can see the two are very close in sound, and are often confused as such by learners.

Probably the biggest difference is tongue positions:

x

vs.

sh

• This is a post about mandarin, not harbin dialect. – Zuoanqh Apr 30 '18 at 9:02
  • Yes, but it’s the closest example I could find atm. The initials are the same, you can see how they work. IPA is rarely used in Mandarin dictionaries, if I can find one I’ll update accordingly. – user3306356 Apr 30 '18 at 9:11
  • Well, the sound sample you provided is the same as the wikipedia page, and in general i no longer trust wikipedia on this issue, which is why i asked this question. I am asking this question as a native speaker, by the way. But thanks for your effort. – Zuoanqh Apr 30 '18 at 9:52
  • @Zuoanqh Yes. My point was, though, that the IPA is corroborated in published works. I know it's not a perfect example but it should answer your question. – user3306356 Apr 30 '18 at 11:11
  • I hope so. letters letters letters – Zuoanqh Apr 30 '18 at 11:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.