I have this dictionary entry from《广安方言与民俗词典》:

lia3

①指舔、舐的意思,用舌头接触东西或舔吃东西。②也指巴结,讨好。例:他最喜欢lia3有权有势的。“lia3 lia3糖”,指棒棒糖。例:拿颗lia3 lia3糖去让他含倒,哄倒起莫哭。

I have seen lia3 substitued with:

and

𫾈

While 𫾈 does share the idea of brown-nosing (巴结,讨好) it's unlikely that it would mean lick.

Maybe a mutation of 𫇘 would make more sense especially with the whole 湖广填川 thing.

Any ideas?

• 𦧺 cantonese.sheik.co.uk/dictionary/characters/8365 lick/lap with tongue
    – Tang Ho
    May 2 '18 at 6:30
  • The closest thing I found was a Thai word for lick, but Zhuang people are not known to be widespread in the Guang'an area. BTW many of these topolect slangs are never ever written, as is tradition to write only Classical Chinese.
    – dROOOze
    May 4 '18 at 14:02
  • @droooze Yeah, I get that, I've just seen the assumption of none over something fail many a time. I've seen a lot of Zhuang characters used in Sichuanese before, so you never know. I'd like to see your findings.
    – Mou某
    May 4 '18 at 14:22
  • CTRL+F "riz" in this document. I think "riz" is supposed to be the Zhuang version of that Thai word. Some of those characters look plausible, but I can't find any further information on most of them.
    – dROOOze
    May 4 '18 at 14:31
    I came across this the other day, they might be etymologically related.
    – dROOOze
    Jun 19 '18 at 9:19

𦧺 http://www.cantonese.sheik.co.uk/dictionary/characters/8365/

laai2

lick/lap with tongue

This character is used in Cantonese, not Mandarin/Standard written Chinese.

𦧺 someone's 鞋 = "to lick someone's boot" = brown-nosing

• Any Cantonese dialects pronunciation of 𦧺 close to lia?
    – Mou某
    May 2 '18 at 7:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.