I learned that the measure word for 猫 is .

However, my friend said 条 is the correct measure word for 猫.

The conversation with the friend is the following:

X: 你有养猫吗?

I: 哈哈 这只不是我的,我韩国旅游时的我的房东的。

X: 我家有一条🐱

I: 猫应该是只还是条?

X: 条🐱

So she said clearly it should be 条, not 只.

But my Pleco only shows 只, while 网易有道词典 doesn't mention it.

Now I wonder in what cases 条 should be used instead of 只, and why 只 is not correct here.

I prefer to 只; 条 sounds weird. See here and here. – songyuanyao May 2 '18 at 16:08
  • users are used to 条 for dogs, although 条猫 does not seem to exist, on the other hand although 条狗 may be more common, examples for 只狗 abound, iciba (cf. comment #1):伴着一声嗥叫,第二只狗扑向了他的脚后跟,库克叫这只狗的名字时,它的耳朵就会稍稍耷拉一下,那只狗阴郁地盯着我们看了几分钟 – user6065 May 2 '18 at 17:12
    只 is right. I've never heard 一条猫, maybe it's her dialect. – Jason Swift May 3 '18 at 0:13
  • @JasonSwift Then where 条 is used more often? – Blaszard May 3 '18 at 5:29
    Both 一条狗 and 一只狗 are common. Here's a discussion on Zhihu: zhihu.com/question/31086186 – Jason Swift May 3 '18 at 6:41

Misusing quantifiers is a practice of rhetorics. Consider the examples of 一滩猫 and 一坨代码. 滩 gives a metaphor noting the liquidity of a cat, and 坨 implies that the code is badly programmed to look like shit.

In orthographic usages, 条 cannot quantify 猫. However, if you have a specific rhetorical purpose, you may quantify anything with any quantifier you prefer.

In this very particular case, when 条 is used to quantify 猫, it would seem that you are giving an explicit implication that the cat is pretty long or very thin; and note that context matters.

In a mistake, I have never heard anyone say 一条猫. It does not make sense.

Because when people choose a counter, he have 3 options,

1st: a description.

一根鱼竿, 一条鱼,

2nd: a common counter.

一个铅笔, 一位好人,

3rd: an emotional counter

一条好汉, 一条狗, 一头疯子

一条狗 originally implies a hungry dog that is hollow and skinny, though it becomes a common counter, it still includes the negative meanings.

If you use 条 with other things, means you treat them as dogs, just like 一条好汉.

If 一条瘦猫, that is much better, a hateful hungry cat.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.