In class, the teacher asked us to say:

I go to Guangzhou to see a friend

in Chinese. I thought we should say:

我去广州朋友
Wǒ qù Guǎngzhōu jiàn péngyǒu

but the (substitute) teacher proposed:

我去广州朋友
Wǒ qù Guǎngzhōu kàn péngyǒu

I think 见 is more appropriate since it means "to see" in the sense of "to meet", whereas 看 means "to look at", e.g., 看花 (kànhuā) = to look at flowers.

I was corrected on this in the past: I went to an office and said 我想看[她的名字], and I was told that's weird to say, that it sounds like she's a celebrity, and I should say 我想见[她的名字].

However, in addition to the teacher's sentence, the top answer to When to use 看 and 见? says 见 is inappropriate (you probably will not use 见 as a verb), although it also says it is appropriate (见 can be used as a verb when it means to see/meet someone), so now I'm totally confused, and unsure which is best for this particular context.

Question: Is 我去广州见朋友 or 我去广州看朋友 better for saying "I go to Guangzhou to see a friend"?

• 看 shows more emotions, like you care about him or her (similar to 看望), while 见 is neutral. May 9, 2018 at 2:51
  • That answer confused itself, so don't be confused with that one. Lol, for sure, 见 can be used as a verb.
    – dan
    May 9, 2018 at 4:06
  • more possibilities; (search dictionaries): 看望朋友、会(会)朋友、见到朋友、
    – user6065
    May 9, 2018 at 6:02

2 Answers 2

In this case, I think 我去广州看朋友 is the suitable translation for "I go to Guangzhou to see a friend"? 我去广州看朋友 usually means you want to see your friend there to see how everything is going with him.

Well, 我去广州见朋友 sounds that you want to meet a friend in Guangzhou, usually for some purposes(like business, talking about something, etc.)

Honestly, I don't think English speaker will say "I go to some places to see a friend", even it is grammatically correct. Normally one will use : "I go to Guangzhou to visit/meet a friend".

Then you can learn how Chinese say the same thing interchangeably :

• 找朋友, 觅朋友, 觅友
  • 探朋友,探望朋友
  • 揾朋友, 睇朋友(Cantonese)
  • 见朋友, 会见朋友, 会见友人, 看朋友

However, the later example of "looking/searching for somebody name", it is not correct to use [看/见] . The correct terms are

• 找名字
  • 寻找名字
  • 搜索名字
    It's very common in English to use "see" like this, for example my coworker asked me this morning what I did last weekend and I answered "I went back home and saw my family". May 9, 2018 at 9:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.