Please see the green arrow beneath. I can't copy and paste from Yellowbridge for 袁:

enter image description here

• What I read is the whole character 袁 looks like a picture of a person wearing a pendant. 口 in 袁 is like a pendant and 土 is more like the person's head and shoulder.
    – dan
    May 31 '18 at 5:48
    I'm not seeing any references to any pendants, I'm only seeing references to a person wearing clothes.
    – Mou某
    May 31 '18 at 6:12
  • There is no pendant in the character. As to why Yellowbridge says there's a pendant, you'll have to find out where Yellowbridge references this explanation from.
    – dROOOze
    May 31 '18 at 20:10
  • @user3306356 Sorry. I was lazy in shirking the other text. Better?
    – NNOX Apps
    Jun 1 '18 at 23:30
    What I meant was: in the resources I was flipping through I couldn’t find anything to cooborate what yellowbridge was saying about pendants.
    – Mou某
    Jun 2 '18 at 0:50

There is no pendant in the character. 「袁」 (Mandarin: yuán) originally meant to wear (clothes), where

• 「土」 is a corruption of 「又」, a picture of a hand, signifying the action of wearing clothes, and
  • 「口」 is a corruption of 「〇」 (yuán), a phonetic hint.
    • 「〇」 is the shape of a circle, and this word is now written as 「圓」.

合集33692

「袁」 was originally 「⿰衣又」, which is an abstract depiction of a hand 「又」 putting on robes 「衣」. This word is now written as 「擐」 (Baxter-Sagart OC: /*[ɢ]ʷˤren-s/).

「擐」 (to wear, put on) is made by

1. Adding on an additional semantic 「扌・手」

2. Complexifying 「袁」 to a pure phonetic 「瞏」 (something like /*[ɢ]ʷˁ<r>en/) by adding on 「目・罒」 to the top.

「瞏」 is systematically written as 「睘」 today across all characters.

「⿰衣又」 had a few variants, produced by some small modifications in two main ways:

• Sometimes, multiple 「又」 were included, and 「又」 at the top was further corrupted into 「止」.

懷特甲骨集

・下506
    合集31774

• Other times, 「〇」 (/*ɢʷ<r>en/) was added as a phonetic hint.

寧滬1.501
    合集27756

2061 (⿰彳袁)
    小屯南甲骨

「〇」 is the shape of a circle, and this word is now written as 「圓」.

Both of these modifications were eventually incorporated:

西周

史墻盤 (遠)
集成10175

Later,

• 「止」 merged with the top part of 「衣」 and was further corrupted into 「土」
  • 「〇」 was systematically corrupted into 「口」 across all Chinese characters

秦律十八87 (遠)
睡虎地秦簡

References:

说文解字:

長衣皃。此字之本義。今衹謂爲姓。而本義廢矣..

皃: 通"貌"

Translation:

Looking of long cloths. This is the original meaning. Today only used as surname. The original meaning is deprecated...

No pendant mentioned...

bone script enter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.