From the mathematics article 拉丁阵的枚举和计数(Ⅱ):情形n=4,k〈=4, we have the following first paragraph:

snippet from the paper

I'm confused about what 合痕类的个数 (hé hén lèi de gè shù) means here (it's used twice). Google Translate says it means "the number of traces", but I don't feel this is accurate.

Question: What does 合痕类的个数 (hé hén lèi de gè shù) mean in this mathematics article?

My transcription:

文献[1]中引人了(n,k)-拉丁阵概念,并对n=2,3的情形给出了(n,k)-拉丁阵和它们的合痕类的个数。本文继续讨论n=4的情形,给出了(4,k,1)-拉丁阵,(4,2),(4,3)-和(4,4)-拉丁阵及它们的合痕类的个数

My translation:

In document [1] is the fascinating引人 (short for 引人入胜 (?)) concept概念 of the (n,k)-Latin matrix, and the case情形 of n=2,3, gives (n,k)-Latin matrices and their [合痕类的个数 (?)]. In this paper, we continue继续 the discussion讨论 to the case情形 of n=4, give (4,k,1)-Latin matrices, (4,2), (4,3), and (4,4)-Latin matrices and their [合痕类的个数 (?)].

If it helps, here's an example of what one looks like:

enter image description here

search web for 合痕类, get e.g. 2001 Journal of Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications Vol. 24 No. 1 文章编号 : 1007-5321(2001) 01-0028-04 拉丁方合痕分类的快速算法 An Efficient Algorithm of Latin Squares Isotopy Classfication 合痕 isotopy 合痕类 isotopy class, also bkrs 合痕 isotopy,合痕分类(的算法) isotopy classification – user6065 Jun 3 '18 at 5:01

I am absolutely not a mathematician, but here is my stab:

isotropic: "having the same properties in all directions,"

In your case, a regular matrix, your example showing the vertical and horizontal elements to be the same.

合痕:isotropy
合痕类:isotropic
合痕类的个数: isotropic elements / individual elements
矩阵: matrix

本文继续讨论n=4的情形,
This document goes on to discuss n=4 matrices
给出了(4,k,1)-拉丁阵,(4,2),(4,3)-和
showing (4,k,1) - Latin matrices, (4,2), (4,3)- and
(4,4)-拉丁阵及它们的合痕类的个数。
4 by 4 Latin matrices and their isotropic elements

• Thanks! (It's going to be "isotopic" rather than "isotropic", but I get the point.) So it looks like 个数 is used to mean "representative" (one from each isotopy class). – Becky 李蓓 Jun 3 '18 at 23:23
  • bkrs: isotropy; isotropism 各向同性 (一物质在各方向具有相同物理性质的特性),also 各项同性 examples from iciba: .在这儿,我们给出适用于各项同性固体的方程.为了简单起见,仅讨论各向同性材料.re 合痕 also see baidu: 嵌入合痕 isotopy of embeddings,Q mentioned the term "trace" as supplied by google, users note that the mathematical term "trace" agrees with the general term 迹(繁体:跡) (see Wikipedia,e.g.) – user6065 Jun 4 '18 at 1:44
  • 'isotope' is a word first used in 1913, suggested by the Scottish writer and doctor Margaret Todd from the Greek 'iso' = equal, same, 'topos' = place. The idea is, different atoms of the same element may have different atomic weights, but they are still 'in the same place in the periodic table'. To my mind, this clearly belongs to the field of chemistry. If mathematicians have commandeered the word and somehow applied it to maths, I would not know. My definition of isotopy would be: the phenomenon of having isotopes. It may be easy to confound isotopy and isotropy. – Pedroski Jun 4 '18 at 3:43
  • I am a research mathematician. Both "isotopy/isotopic" and "isotropy/isotropic" are established mathematical terms in English, with completely different meanings. However I am not sure which would be used for Latin squares (though I'd guess "isotropic", given that "isotropic subspace" arises in symplectic linear algebra). – user19168 Jun 5 '18 at 5:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.