In this instance i'm trying to communicate "every" or "each"

What do you usually do on weekends?

你週末通常都做什麼

Vs

你週末都通常做什麼

Is there a meaningful difference in the position in this sentence? or is it just plain grammatically incorrect?

thanks a lot.

see grammars on 状语的位置,this site:The word order of co-existing adverbs in a sentence chinese.stackexchange.com/questions/12197/… thus time adverbials come first followed by (2)表示语气以及在分句之间起关联作用的状语 (e.g.难道、岂、究竟、偏偏、索性、简直、大概、莫非、到底、原来) 通常 can be considered a time adverbial and 都 a 语气 one, thus version #1 (top) follows grammar rules (some users will say for emphasis this order may be changed) – user6065 Jun 9 '18 at 2:55
    esp. re 都 (confirming version #1):"实用现代汉语语法"表示 范围的副词"都"、"全" 等要位于所总括的成分之后。例如:(1)你听听:街坊四邻全于活儿,就是你没有正经事儿。("全"总括"街坊四邻")(2)臭水往屋里跑,把什么东西都演了。("都"总括"什么东西")(3)入冬以来,体育活动在各个班都积极开展起来了。("都"总括"各个班") – user6065 Jun 9 '18 at 3:46

People I ask don't like: 你周末都通常干什么?but they can't say why not.

What do you usually do on weekends? 你周末通常都干什么?

You can leave 都 out: 你周末通常干什么?

What do you usually do each weekend? 你每个周末通常做什么?

• thanks. I thought that the 都 may just be unnecessary, but used for another reason here, comment above clarifed its for emphasis. thanks! – Henry Kingston Jun 9 '18 at 23:08

In my opinion, 你週末通常都做什麼 is more natural.

你週末都通常做什麼 sounds ok, but not as natural as the first one.

There's no difference in meaning. I don't think there's a strong reason as to why the first one sounds more natural. It might be all about conventions.

Note that some might take this differently based on their conventions.

By the way, 都 here is used to emphasize, not to convey every or each.

• thank you! i see it is for emphasis, that makes perfect sense, as i thought that the 都 may not even be necessary in that sentence. thanks a lot. – Henry Kingston Jun 9 '18 at 23:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.