CantoDict and yellowbridge say the pronunciation for 擁抱 is yong1 bao4.

However, Google Translate and other pages say it's yong3 bao4.

What's the right pronunciation?

Sorry I can't see the difference... Both yong3 bao4? – songyuanyao Jun 12 '18 at 0:11
    Have you ever checked your question after you post it? – user19549 Jun 12 '18 at 0:31
    Supplementary information: 百度词典(yong1 bao4). – Frenzy Li Jun 12 '18 at 0:39
    yong3bao4 reminds me of 志玲姐姐, 给你一个大大的yong3bao4. lmao – Jacob Jun 12 '18 at 8:52

Liang'an (兩岸) gives the Taiwanese Mandarin (國語) pronunciation as:

yǒngbào

yong3 bao4

while noting the mainland Mandarin (普通话) pronunciation as being:

yōngbào

yong1 bao4

Unless you're planning on speaking Taiwanese Mandarin, I'd stick with yōng yong1.

Looking up the 1992 version of the 新华字典 published by the 商务印书馆, on page 560 we find:

(擁) yōng ㄩㄥ ❶抱((连)—抱)。 [...the rest abbreviated]

Along with no other pronunciation available.

This, however, doesn't really explain why Google translate writes the pronunciation as yong3 bao4. If you click on the "read" icon, Google still pronounces it as yong1 bao4. Probably a mistake on Google's part.

In mainland, it's always 拥 yōng 抱. But I heard some folks from TWN said yong3 bao4. I still remember 庾澄庆 a famous singer from TWN said yong3 bao4 in the very famous show, Voice of China(中国新歌声). :) – dan Jun 12 '18 at 1:35
  • @dan That is refreshing to know. I do think your explanation could be a standalone answer if you provided more instances of yong3 bao4 because it addresses the question. – Frenzy Li Jun 12 '18 at 2:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.