See title. What's the difference between these terms? Thanks in advance!
They can all be translated into English as variety or type. Their differences are:
- Has a slight emphasis on the differences between compared things, and it is slightly more often used to construct categories to sort different objects into.
- Also occasionally used as a synonym for 種族 (race or ethnicity) in older texts (pre-Qing).
- Example from Pleco: 不同種類的刀具 (different kinds of knives)
- Has a slight emphasis on the similarities between compared things, and it is slightly more often used to group things which share similar properties into the same category.
- Sometimes used as a word to categorise tropes, imagery, or genres in the field of literature.
- Is a term imported from Wasei-kango.
- Example sentence: 魯迅 《偽自由書ㆍ前記》： “然而我的壞處， 是在論時事不留面子， 砭錮弊常取類型， 而後者尤與時宜不合。” (Lu Xun: "My problem is that I don't spare any sensibilities when discussing current affairs, and often use literary tropes when criticising harmful traditions; the latter may be extremely inappropriate in contemporary society.")
- Very often used in the field of biology for the meaning animal breed, species, bacterial strain.
- Otherwise used to describe the assortment variety of products e.g. in a shop.