Page 178 of《成都话方言词典》has the following entry:

enter image description here

丘八儿 qiū bér
[tɕ‘iəu⁵⁵ pər²¹] 丘八, 旧时称军人。因“丘”加“八”为“兵”而得名(含贬义)。

丘八 is a deconstruction of the character 兵.

What words exist that come from deconstructed characters?

• I presume you are asking only entries in dictionary, right? Or else you can break down thousands of characters and make similar two characters terms out of them – Tang Ho Jun 16 '18 at 9:14
  • One deconstructed characters case come to my mind, it is '虫二' which are 風月 without the surrounding parts, '虫二' is a word play for "風月無邉" (endless romance) – Tang Ho Jun 16 '18 at 9:27
  • @TangHo I'm just asking for words in use, or used before in the past, they don't have to be included in any dictionaries. Obviously I could break down characters myself and give them meaning but that would defeat the purpose. – user3306356 Jun 16 '18 at 9:30

look for "拆字" (roughly destruct character), particularly fortune telling story.

水巷 --> 港

卯金刀 --> 劉

several verses from a famous oracle poem in hong kong, 1933:

"人我太陽爭北土"

人我 --> 羅斯 (russia)

"十四一心人發奮.水去西方啟戰爭"

十四一心人 --> 國 (third reich, at that era)

水去

"晉有出頭寧坐視.中央生草不堪耘"

晉有出頭

中央生草

guess these five characters?

edited.

another word to look for is "離合", there're many examples in literary of yore. e.g. the wiki had 古今譚槩, in volume 29, "談資部":

「取上一字,下拆兩字,字義相協。」倡云:「山上有明光,不知是日光、月光。」文云:「堂上掛珠簾,不知是王家的、朱家的。」陳云:「有客到舘驛,不知是舍人、官人。」王云:「半夜生孩兒,不知是子時、亥時。」各賞大觥。

in which the condition is choose one character (取上一字), break it into two (下拆兩字), and then the character, its meaning is in accord (字義相協).

four persons done it :)

山上有明光,不知是日光、月光 (明 --> 日, 月)

堂上掛珠簾,不知是王家的、朱家的 (珠 --> 王, 朱)

有客到舘驛,不知是舍人、官人 (舘 --> 舍, 官)

半夜生孩兒,不知是子時、亥時 (孩 --> 子, 亥)

it might be too difficult for elementary learners, or simplified chinese users. but, it's the funny, witty aspect of the traditional culture.

• 人我 should be Russia? – user3306356 Jun 16 '18 at 9:49
  • yes, you get it, 4 left :) – 水巷孑蠻 Jun 16 '18 at 9:53
  • Quite appropriate poems given the 1940s I suppose. Think I got them all. – droooze Jun 16 '18 at 11:08
  • Is 十四一心人 the character 德? – user3306356 Jun 16 '18 at 11:45
  • get it, 3 left :) – 水巷孑蠻 Jun 16 '18 at 11:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.