For example if I'm going to a wedding in a few weeks, I might ask my friends "I need some wedding clothing advice" or "I need some advice about what to wear".

I know that I can directly ask 参加婚礼穿什么好?or something along those lines, but is there an indirect way to introduce the question? Like the English sentences I wrote above. How could they be naturally translated?

我對X不太了解,請您推薦比較好的給我。/我對X拿不定主意,您可不可以給我一點建議? – user16115 Jun 21 '18 at 20:04
  • 参加婚礼穿什么好 (呢), / 可否 / 能否 / 能不能 给我一点建议. – 賈可 Jacky Jun 22 '18 at 2:06

In [I need] [some] [advice] [about X], "about X" is an adjectival phrase for the object "advice".

As you can see, the adjectival phrase is placed after the object.

~

The following is a word for word transfer of English grammar into Chinese sentence:

[我需要] [一些] [建議], [關於 X (的)] - you need to add adjectival marker '的' to make '關於 X' into an adjectival phrase

But in native Chinese grammar, the adjectival phrase "關於 X (的)" should be placed before the object "建議" as below:

[我需要] [一些] [關於 X (的)] [建議]

• "我需要一些建議, 關於 X 的." (English grammar)

• "我需要一些關於 X 的建議." (Chinese grammar)

In Chinese, what we would naturally say is

你知道参加婚礼应该穿什么好吗?

Or even more indirectly

你觉得参加婚礼应该穿什么好?

• how about: 征求一下对婚礼穿着的意见 – user2137196 Jun 22 '18 at 8:16
  • @user2137196, 你对婚礼穿着有什么建议 sounds more natural. – dan Jun 22 '18 at 11:14
  • @user2137196 This is a more formal way of saying that. – zyy Jun 22 '18 at 23:54

Totally agree with Tang Ho

I need some advice about XXX.
我需要一些关于XXX的建议。

I need some advice about what to wear at a friend’s wedding.
我需要关于参加朋友婚礼穿什么的建议。

I need some wedding clothing advice.
我需要一些关于婚礼礼服的建议。(sounds a bit weird I’m told, not very colloquial)

I dunno what I should wear to a wedding.
我不知道参加婚礼应该穿什么。

Can you tell me what’s best to wear to a friend’s wedding?
你可以告诉我去参加朋友婚礼穿什么好吗?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.