If I spent 100.50, would I have to say, "一百块零五毛" if yes, why do I have to put the "ling" after the "kuai" since "yibaikuai" already establishes the number 100?

• It has nothing to do for the number 100. ¥1.50 can be read as "一块零五毛". "零" is there to show that you have something more than some "块"s, and that something is smaller than a whole "块". – fefe Jun 23 '18 at 5:55

We say "one hundred dollars and fifty cents" in English. 零 functions the same as 'and' , of course you can say "one hundred dollars fifty cents" or "一百块五毛" but that would make it sound like the phrase is broken into two parts –

If it is "一百五十五块五毛" ($155.50) , we don't put 零 between "块" and "毛" ; we only add 零 when the previous digit is zero

Examples:

"一百五十块零五毛" ($150.50)- last digit of 'dollar' is zero, therefore 零 is added before '五毛'

"一百五十五块五毛" ($155.50)- last digit of 'dollar' is not zero, therefore 零 is not added before '五毛'

"一百万零五千元" (One million and five thousand dollars) - need 零 between 一百万 and 五千元 because the last digit of million is a zero

"一百二十五万四千三百二十一元 ($1,254,321)- no 零 needed

"Five hundred and five dollars" ($505) = 五百零五元

"Five hundred fifty five dollars" ($555) =五百五十五元

• Thank you especially for clarifying that 零 functions the same as "and" in case the last digit is 0, honestly made everything clear. – BoomPhrasing Jun 23 '18 at 6:53
  • I feel this has more to do with prosody than anything else. Chinese is quite a rhythmic language. – Vitaly Osipov Jun 25 '18 at 1:08
  • @Vitaly Osipov Same in English, "one million and five thousand dollars" sound more natural than "one million, five thousand dollars" – Tang Ho Jun 25 '18 at 1:21
  • @TangHo Maybe it does, yet from my uneducated point of view prosody is way more important in day-to-day spoken Chinese than in eg. English (prose). – Vitaly Osipov Jun 25 '18 at 1:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.