I'd like to express the idea that the members of a group perform a multi-party action, e.g., conversing, amongst themselves. E.g., "My co-workers use English when they talk amongst themselves".

The best I can do right now is:

我同事互相交谈用英文。

But I imagine there's a lot of work to be done here, both in expressing the notion of "amongst themselves" and translating the "when X, Y" subordinate structure.

• The English idea of amongst could just simply be omitted here without losing clarity.
    – Mou某
    Jun 26, 2018 at 6:38

3 Answers 3

"My co-workers use English when they talk amongst themselves". 我的同事们之间用英语聊天儿。

"My co-workers use English when they talk amongst themselves".

I will interpret it as: 我们同事之间交谈使用英文. Or 同事之间交谈我们使用英文.

Among themselves(coworkers): 同事之间;

when they talk amongst themselves: 我们同事之间交谈

My co-workers use English: (我的同事们)使用英文

You can add 相互,but the meaning stays unchanged. 我们同事之间相互交谈使用英文 is fine too.

There are more than one way to express this sentence in Chinese

"My co-workers talk among themselves" = "我的同事們私下交談"

"My co-workers (use English) (when) they talk among themselves" = "我的同事們私下交談(時)(使用英語)"

"我的同事們私下交談時(都是)使用英語" - Add 都是 (always) to make it more clear

"My co-workers talk among themselves" = "我的同事們私下交談"

"(when) my co-workers talk among themselves, (they use English) " = "(當)我的同事們私下交談(時), (他們使用英語)"

"(當)我的同事們私下交談(時), (他們都是使用英語)" - Add 都是 (always) to make it more clear

Edit:

dan wrote:

私下交談 denotes those informal circumstances, which doesn't well address the sense of talk among themselves.

I replied:

'私下交談' means 'talk privately' implying 'without including people outside of their circle. May be I can change '我的同事們私下交談' to '我的同事們在他們之間交談' to make the translation more direct, but that would be quite wordy

If I decided to use the more direct translation, the sentences would become:

"我的同事們(在他們之間交談時)都是使用英語"

"(當)我的同事們(在他們之間交談時), 他們都是使用英語"

But it can be rephrased to make less wordy:

"我的同事們之間的交談都是用英語" (the conversations between my co-workers are all in English)

• 私下交談 denotes those informal circumstances, which doesn't well address the sense of talk among themselves.
    – dan
    Jun 26, 2018 at 5:49
  • @dan '私下交談' means 'talk privately' implying 'without including people outside of their circle. May be I can change '我的同事們私下交談' to '我的同事們在他們之間交談'to make the translation more direct, but that would be quite wordy
    – Tang Ho
    Jun 26, 2018 at 6:34
  • Wouldn’t 聊天(兒) be a better word than 交談?
    – Sweeper
    Jun 26, 2018 at 10:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.