There's a commercial that plays on TV everyday now where in the lyrics 就要 is sung as juo. 就要就要 is sung as juo juo. There's nothing in my dictionaries alluding to a 就要 contraction and I've not been able to find anything online talking about it. My hunch is that it is just a rhyming technique to make the lyrics sound better.

The video can be found here: http://www.iqiyi.com/w_19rtxh9rel.html 就要就要 starts at about ~0:19.

Is this an actual thing anywhere?

• Any audio/video we can listen to?
    – fefe
    Jul 2, 2018 at 12:27
  • Music doesn't have to articulate everything word. Rhyme might be a far more important factor. Think about songs by Jay Chou.
    – dan
    Jul 2, 2018 at 16:48

1 Answer 1

We don't have such contraction normally. I think this is just for rhyme since most of the lyrics contain word 拼多多(pinduoduo) which ends with "uo". If the singer sings 就要(jiuyao) as "juo", it will also end with "uo". And this make the singing sounds quite cute, at least in my opinion.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.