i learn chinese on a book and it shows the words sometimes in romans such as Ni-hao but it doesn't show how to spell the word with the right pronounciation, can someone help how i can learn the pronounciation and accent with the aid of the books i have?

closed as too broad by songyuanyao Jul 14 '18 at 5:21

Please edit the question to limit it to a specific problem with enough detail to identify an adequate answer. Avoid asking multiple distinct questions at once. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

I would consider it practically impossible to learn how to pronounce words correctly in Chinese without audio. There's many obstacles:

• The initial x of (xū) doesn't seem to have an equivalent sound in English. (Have you heard news reporters try to pronounce 习近平 (Xí Jìnpíng)?)
  • The final u in (chū) and (qù) are pronounced differently (compare their bopomofo), despite being represented by the same letter.
  • The difference between e.g. (shàng) and (xiàng) is very subtle, likewise for nasal vs. non-nasal finals, e.g. (jīng) vs. (jīn).
  • There's also tone sandhi, where the tone changes in words,e.g. your example 你好 may be written as two third tones (nǐ hǎo) but this changes to one second tone and one third tone (ní hǎo) when its pronounced.

It may be possible to benefit from knowledge of bopomofo. However, it's like trying to fight with one arm tied behind your back. It's vastly easier to simply listen to the sound on some video (or the book's accompanying CD); there's zillions of them available free online.

• This is probably useless information but apparently Ghanaian English‘s pronunciation of ship [ɕip] does contain the same initial as Chinese’s “x” initial. – user3306356 Jul 9 '18 at 12:26
  • Ok but why did people downvote my question? What kind of community is this? – Salmaan Al-Faaris Jul 9 '18 at 12:42
  • Just because im a beginner – Salmaan Al-Faaris Jul 9 '18 at 12:42
  • @SalmaanAl-Faaris I didn't downvote it, but I think it's because the question isn't super clear. Are you only trying to learn pronunciation from books? Or do you want to learn how to pronounce things properly to aid your book studies? If you make your questions more specific it will be easier for people to give you the answers you are looking for as well. – user3306356 Jul 9 '18 at 14:07
  • @user3306356 read the question title again facepalm that is exactly it – Salmaan Al-Faaris Jul 9 '18 at 14:23

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.