How do you append degree complement to a 离合词 such as 提高?

I naively came up with 他提高得很快, but then I remembered for 离合词 words such as 打折, I had to construct somewhat differently such as 他们打了很多折,我忍不住就买。 (credits to Dan who made this clear for me)

I am guessing the same would apply for 提高?

Thanks.

• 高 can be considered result complement of verb 提, – user6065 Jul 27 '18 at 2:23
  • So if I were to use result complement, I would say 提得很高? – 金允雄Oliver Jul 27 '18 at 2:25
  • proposed phrase appears correct, cf. bkrs 把自己的要求提得很高, although得很高 now seems to function as degree complement to verb 提 – user6065 Jul 27 '18 at 2:30
  • maybe 高 in 提高 should not be considered a complement of result, (there do not seem to exist corresponding potential complements *提得高、*提不高)提高 may simply be compound of type 动+形,like 说明,降低、 – user6065 Jul 27 '18 at 3:33

提高 literally means "lift/raise sth. up". Its extended meaning is improve or make a progress.

他提高得很快

In this sentence, you have used the extended meaning(improve) of 提高. The whole sentence can be translated to: He improved rapidly/very fast.

In my opinion, if you use its extended meaning, then it's not a 离合词 because you can't separate it. Well, it can be considered as a 离合词 when it denotes its literal meaning(lift up), because it is separable . For example, you can say 提得高.

PS. As the comment pointed out, 提得很高 is more common than 提得高 in practice.

| improve this answer | |
  • allowing for 得, 提得高 does not seem very common, much more common 提得很高 (cf. comment #3)、太高、 过高 – user6065 Jul 27 '18 at 2:59
  • @user6065, your point is taken. I just want to say that it's separable when it means its literal meaning. – dan Jul 27 '18 at 3:02
  • @dan How do you advise learning 离合词 words and what they look like when complements are appended? I now get how 提高 works with extended meaning, but some words such as 打折 are separable whereas some are not. This is quite confusing. – 金允雄Oliver Jul 27 '18 at 4:35
  • @金允雄Oliver you might have to grab a grammar book to understand the whole picture of it. Or, you can have a search online, for example a baidu search. – dan Jul 27 '18 at 4:38
  • @金允雄Oliver this is the one from baidu: baike.baidu.com/item/%E7%A6%BB%E5%90%88%E8%AF%8D/… – dan Jul 27 '18 at 4:40

For your question, I would say, 提高 is not a 离合词,you would not usually say

提了很高

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.