I am really confused in regards to how 是 is used in 好像/像 sentences and sometimes not used.

For example, I can come up with something like 那朵云好像是一朵棉花。 (that cloud looks like cotton.) Can I omit 是 here?

In another case, I can compose a sentence such as 我想像 David Beckham 踢得太好 (I want to play soccer as well as David Beckham) and 是 is not used here.

Can somebody help me understand usages of 好像/像 and how 是 is used and sometimes not used in those sentences?

• users note, in each of 像是一朵棉花, 想像 there is only one verb 是 in 1st case, 想 in 2nd – user6065 Jul 28 '18 at 9:53
  • So, you use 是 when there's no verb involved? Such as the first case? Also not in the second case because there's already a verb 踢? – 金允雄Oliver Jul 28 '18 at 9:56
  • I might be wrong here, but the '好像是' in '那朵云好像是一朵棉花' for me means 'seems to be' not 'looks like'... – Fai91 Jul 28 '18 at 10:15
  • @Fai91 What's the difference between "seems to be" and "looks like" ? – Bruce Huang Jul 28 '18 at 11:28
  • 1st example NP+像是+NP (NP noun phrase,do not omit 是 ) 2nd 像+NP+V+得+adj/adv see grammars, Making comparisons 象 bkrs:好像是,像是 1)相似。 如:「这些人造花做得像是真花一般。」(it) looks like, it is likely,大概,好像是,看来,也许,好像是你对,it looks as if you are right,2) 彷佛。 如:「听他的口气像是已经下定决心了。」as if iciba: look like; seem; This is more like a downpayment, or a deposit, if you like.这更像是首付,也可以说是定金。(there are more examples) 好像是 can be "I am afraid so", 像 (2)v. resemble; be like; take after; similar; alike,(4) 模拟 [imitate](5) 仿效 [follow the example of](6) 依随, 顺遂 [comply with] 像了他意, 再无妒忌。 --《古今小说》 also search site for previous disc – user6065 Jul 28 '18 at 12:34

那朵云好像是一朵棉花。
好像 adv. seem; as if; as though
verb. is

那朵云好像一朵棉花。
好像 verb. seems to be... ; looks like...
It is actually the combination of 好(quite; pretty much) and 像(seems to be).

是 here is a verb in your sentence, but we can omit 是 because 好像 can also be a verb. And the meaning is almost the same no matter whether there is 是.

我想像 David Beckham 踢得太好。(Actually, we don't say like this.)
verb. want to; intend to; would like to; hope to.
preposition. resemble; such as

However, this sentence has some problem when you want to express "I want to play soccer as well as David Beckham." 太好 here would give a negative meaning like "play too good to ... (avoid some training wound/be out of spare time/take care of family...)". The situation you can use 太好 is in exclamatory sentence:

他踢球踢得太好了!

So I suggest to say:

我想像大卫•贝克汉姆踢得那么好。 play ... so good as ...
or
我想踢得像大卫•贝克汉姆一样好。 play ... as good as ...

• Can I also say 我想像大卫·贝克汉姆一样足球踢得那么好? – 金允雄Oliver Jul 29 '18 at 1:22
  • Also, when using 像, is 一样 replaceable? – 金允雄Oliver Jul 29 '18 at 1:37
    Yes, you may say that. 那朵云像棉花 = 那朵云像棉花一样 – Bruce Huang Jul 29 '18 at 9:19

When 是 is used in 好像/像, meaning look like, similar to or as, you can omit 是, when 好像/像 means likely, seemingly, probably, you can not.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.