I was given the following scroll

Scroll

and would like a translation before I keep it up on my wall. I believe it says “䤛膳琴心” but I’m not sure. Moreover, I’m not familiar with this idiom and don’t know what it means (assuming those are the characters).

"剑胆琴心", 比喻既有情致,又有胆识(旧小说多用来形容能文能武的才子)。 – dan Jul 29 '18 at 4:20
  • 劍(剑)膽琴心 note that 剑 is written in simplified style. – Toosky Hierot Jul 29 '18 at 5:09
  • bkrs,:courage of a warrior and the soul of a musician; the gall-bladder of a sword and the heart of a lute iciba: 琴心剑胆 have the soul of a musician and the courage of a warrior – user6065 Jul 29 '18 at 5:44

剑膽琴心(膽:Traditional Chinese,=胆) 德峰书

剑胆琴心/劍膽琴心:courage of a warrior and the soul of a musician; the gall-bladder of a sword and the heart of a lute.

This kind of work is used to describe and praise the people (especially the original owner or the author himself) who has both brave and lofty temperament/taste. It's something like 文武双全/文武雙全.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.