What's the difference between : 提交给 and 提交?

What does 给 indicate when it follows words like 提交, 借, etc.?

And should I use 把 whenever I use words like "return", "submit", "hand over", etc.?

1. 提交 is merely an action. 提交给 requires a word to refer to the person who review/read the thing you submitted.
  2. 给 means "to" in English. When it appears right after 提交, 借 etc., it needs you to provide a word right after 给 to refer to the person that you submit [sth.] to or lend [sth.] to
  3. 把 is used in some expression like "send the book to you" which could be translated to "把 书交给你". Usually the word “把” does not have an explicit correspondence in English. For those words you've give, you could use “把” when you mean "return/submit something to someone". In other words, if you want to state the receiver, then you should use 给.
  • Oh my God, thank you so much! You've been a big help! – Agnes Jul 29 '18 at 14:51
  • By the way, I want to ask, do I still need to add 给 when I use this word : 还? – Agnes Jul 29 '18 at 14:54
  • @Agnes yeah, you need to. Although it could be omitted in informal oral expressions. – xbh Jul 30 '18 at 9:29
  • @Agnes For example, 我来还你书 is totally acceptable in oral expressions, which could be translated to "i come here to return you the book". – xbh Jul 30 '18 at 9:37
  • @Agnes My pleasure! – xbh Jul 30 '18 at 9:38

(I don't have sufficient reputation points to comment so I am answering your question here).

RE: By the way, I want to ask, do I still need to add 给 when I use this word : 还? Yes, you can add 给, but it's not 100% necessary.

For example, I return the book to you: below are all valid translations 我把书还给你 我把书还你 我还你书 我还给你书

but these are incorrect ones: 我还你把书 我还给你把书 。。。

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.