As far as I know, for one glyth (ex.: 御) there many variant forms.

Some sources list 䘖䘘禦 as variants, others say that all of the glyths in string 御䘖䘘䢩禦衘馭𠉳𠨙𡕺𢓦𢕜𢖋𤀝𧗨𧗪𨝈 are variants of 御.

Is there a reliable source where I can find all (or most of) the variants for a given glyth. I need only CHARS, that is those you can type with in modern PC.

• If you were to learn these variants of characters, I would suggest not, since no one is using these variants in the modern days and even a native speaker have little knowledge of them. If you were just curious, then go ahead and have fun! – zyy Aug 8 at 14:50
    No, I need them for the app. User inputs a glyth and receives some info. Problem is user can input any variant of a given glyth and I need to know them all. Well, those you can type at least (unicode codepoints). – coobit Aug 8 at 16:36
  • Unicode.org release a version at about June every year, Chinese glyphs covered too, its Unihan data in xml can be extracted with a program, then you can list all variants by SQL. unicode.org/cgi-bin/GetUnihanData.pl?codepoint=御 – Daniel Yeung Aug 10 at 1:33
  • I hope that you have a detailed understanding of what variant actually means. Just with the example you posted, 御 is a variant of both 馭 and 禦, but 馭 is definitely not a variant of 禦. – droooze Aug 10 at 3:38
  • I suspected that. :( But, well.. is there a way for machine to undestand this? I guess not. So, in my app they will have to be variants of each over :( – coobit Aug 10 at 8:28

i would use 教育部異體字字典:

http://dict.variants.moe.edu.tw/variants/rbt/home.do

it's authoritative, and most comprehensive.

eg 御 (u+5fa1), it listed 37 variants :)

http://dict.variants.moe.edu.tw/variants/rbt/word_attribute.rbt?quote_code=QTAxMjk1

have fun :)

• This is .... intimidating at least. Too much variants. Thanks for the link, but it doesn't list those glyth as chars (unicode characters) instead it show them as images. – coobit Aug 8 at 13:38
  • @coobit; A lot of these glyph variants don't even have Unicode codepoints, and a lot of fonts cannot display them anyway. – Michaelyus Aug 8 at 13:57
  • Yes, I know. So I need to stick to all codable glyths... I need this for the software I'm working on. – coobit Aug 8 at 14:03
  • @coobit, an app for variants? may i say, it's a mission impossible, if not extremely difficult. as the example 御 shown, some variants do not yet have a unicode code point. this situation might change gradually, into the supplementary ideographic plane. secondarily, you need a font that mapped glyph to code point. the arial unicode ms has 50000+, the noto has 65000+; which is inadequate for displaying all variants. – 水巷孑蠻 Aug 9 at 0:41
  • Of course it's not about variants. I need only those variants which are already coded into unicode. I know what you are talking about. Thanks for advise :) – coobit Aug 9 at 5:55

I've found even more unicode variants for 御

𠉳𠨙圄𡕺𢓦𢓷𢕥𢕜敔𤎇禦𧗨𧗪衘𧗻䘘䢩馭御䘖𢖋𤀝𨝈

Well, that sucks!

source: http://tls.uni-hd.de/main/basic_ch_char.lasso That's a pretty thorough DataBase, I must admit.

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.