In Chinese, you can use 博士的博 to indicate the character 博 instead of other bó. Like a for apple or b for baby.

What about for the character 格, what do most Chinese people commonly use in practice to indicate / address the character 格 instead of other characters that represents the same sound gé?

Note I'm asking in the context of when someone is trying to spell a word to another person that is writing what he listening to. And that word coincidentally contains the character 博. Using what word would you address it since the characater 博 doesn't have an official name of its own in chinese.

Regards,

• submit 格 to 小马词典 to find 66 words starting with 格 and 285 words containing 格, e.g. may say 价格 的 格 – user6065 Aug 10 '18 at 12:34
  • below find frequency numbers of suggested words: 价格 (價格)#792,風格 #2485, 品格 #9434,人格 #3249,,規格#7583,体格,(體格) #19711,for 严格,資格 frequency # n.a., among these 价格 (價格) has highest frequency – user6065 Aug 10 '18 at 12:55
  • Soryy newbie how did you dislplay the frequency? I mean how did you sort the frequency? – Tomsofty33 Aug 10 '18 at 13:05
  • frequency ## copied from bkrs, – user6065 Aug 10 '18 at 13:27
  • what is bkrs? Sorry I'm new to this. I'm using xiaoma.info. Are you using this site too? – Tomsofty33 Aug 10 '18 at 23:05

Go to http://www.cantonese.sheik.co.uk/scripts/wordsearch.php

Search 格 by Chinese word. You will find many compound words with 格

The following are the most common ones

風格, 品格, 人格, 嚴格, 資格, 價格, 規格, 體格

You can say 風格的格, 品格的格 ... and so on

You can also use terms like 格局, 格鬥, 格調, 格式. To clarify which character you meant to say, the examples you used just need to contain 格, it doesn't matter where it is in a compound word

To make it extra clear, you can even use four characters idioms like

'格' as in "格格不入"

'格' as in "別具一格"

• I don't understand, your examples non start with 格 only ends with it. Don't you use a word or vocab that starts with 格 instead of one that ends with 格 to indicates the character 格? as in a in apple, b in baby..etc. Sorry i'm noobi – Tomsofty33 Aug 10 '18 at 12:47
  • Soory again what is 的格? Lattice? what does that mean? – Tomsofty33 Aug 10 '18 at 12:51
    why do you understand 博士的博 (博 as in 博士) but not understand 風格的格 (格 as in 風格)? – Tang Ho Aug 10 '18 at 15:23
  • Sorry I don't understand Chinese very well as much as you do. I did understand 博士的博 because in google translate it is translated as "Dr's bo". But 風格的格 it is translated as just "style". And 風格 is also translated as "style" while 的格 is translated as "lattice". That's why I asked what is lattice here mean? Am I missing something or was there something that was...lost in translation? – Tomsofty33 Aug 10 '18 at 23:21
  • Also doesn't chinese people use words that "starts" with the character that he intends to address when spelling something instead of choosing a word that "ends" with it ? like in a for apple, b for baby. It's far more intuitive and easier to notice this way, don't you think? Your example 風格 ends with 格, it doesn't start with 格. Is it really usually like this or is it just me that is getting the impression that chinese people likes to make things more errr.... how do you say this.... complicated? – Tomsofty33 Aug 10 '18 at 23:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.