What is the difference between 收了 and 收到了? 1. We say 我收了他的錢 2. But we don't say 我收了他的信, We say我收到他的信了

When do we use 收了 and 收到了?

• 收到钱 has a different meaning from 收钱,see e.g. bkrs: 收钱 receive/collect money/payments (from a customer/etc.)向顾客收钱 charge customers 秘密彩票的收钱人 bagman 收到 :收到一笔钱 receive/obtain/get a sum of money, 收到应得的钱 receive due amount of money, 收到找回的零钱 accept the change – user6065 Aug 11 '18 at 11:11

In general, the word 到 indicates some form of completion:

我找到了我的鞋子
I found my shoes

or

我收到了他的信
I received his letter

In both cases, some action began (searching and sending, respectively) which then came to a completion (finding and receiving, respectively).

Thus, the statement 我收了他的钱 implies that you received money, but not through an active, time-consuming process. You just took the money.

• Oh I didn't know I can see the difference from the process. Thanks a lot. – Katrina Koala Huang Aug 12 '18 at 4:30

我收到了他的信。/ 我收到他的信了。
I have received his letter.

Here, 收到了 usually indicates that something I received that was sent by other people actively. I just get it passively.

我收了他的钱。
I took his money. / I accepted his money.

Here, 收了 just means I get his money. But you cannot tell whether the money is given by him actively or the money is given by my demand/request.

• Oh I didn't know I can think from the actor. Thanks a lot. – Katrina Koala Huang Aug 12 '18 at 4:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.