Is it ok to omit "也" in responce 我也很好?

Dialog (3rd line):

-- 你好吗?

-- [ ] 很好! 你好吗?

-- 我 [ ] 很好!

And if it is ok to omit 也 in third line, is it ok to add 我 in the second line?

Seriously I think people only say 我也很好 when the situation is a bit awkward.

It's like adding to the meaninglessness of your answer by stressing the similarity to another one's meaningless answer.

actually when you ask 你好吗 in Chinese it already starts to get awkward. At least you can ask more specifically e.g. 最近怎么样? (how're u doing lately?) than asking a question which neither contains any information nor fits language convention.

• =))))) if 你好吗? is meaningless and awkward, do you mean that e.g. CEO or bank VP would say 吃反了吗? to his/her colleagues in China? – Ivan Gerasimenko Aug 20 '18 at 15:10
  • @IvanGerasimenko The dialog you provided seems very awkward to me. Actually I ve never get into or heard of such a dialog... – Toosky Hierot Aug 20 '18 at 15:43
    @IvanGerasimenko 吃饭了吗 is often used between friends, neighbors, colleagues under informal circumstance, and note that it usually happens not long after meal time (it sounds a bit silly otherwise) – Toosky Hierot Aug 20 '18 at 15:49
    @IvanGerasimenko well if you want a business or formal tone, you can say 别来无恙 (I hope nothing bad happened since we last met) or just 你好. What I meant is mostly that in Chinese "how are you" hasn't become just a greeting, people will actually think for a few seconds to answer you. And when thinking, they'll feel the ambiguity that you might not be really asking then there's awkwardness. – Xiaoxiong Lin Aug 20 '18 at 21:12
    @IvanGerasimenko In business occasions, between acquaintances ppl just say 早/早上好(Morning/Good Morning) or similar for meaningless greetings. Between strangers, 你好 is formal enough and should be replied by 你好. – Kevin. Fang Aug 21 '18 at 2:20

If you omit 也, the result is like this:

• How are you?
  • Fine! And you?
  • Fine!

but if you use 也, the dialog is like:

• How are you?
  • Fine! And you?
  • I'm fine too!

Both are grammatically correct, but I don't know what is more appropriate in chinese, although in my lessons and in my mother language (italian) we usually talk like the second example.

The word 也 can be direct translated into English word "too", the way of using it in the sentence is basically the same as well.

Having 也 in your sentence basically just add in a "too"
我很好 <---> I'm fine
我也很好 <---> I'm fine too

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.