I am very grateful for helping me with signature on lovely Chinese painting, I have one more in my collection, judging by the back of it it has at least 100 years. It is painted with ink and gold, the signature is next to it but again, I would be very grateful if you could help me with the translation of signature. Once again thank you!!!! pictures below

日本製 (Japan made) 略(brief/ rough) 曆 (Calendar) – Tang Ho Aug 27 '18 at 20:15
  • :) thank you, it only shows how little I know, Tang Ho, you are a great adviser, I couldn't thank you enough! all the best – joanna Aug 27 '18 at 21:14

The characters are:

日本製 (Japan made) 略(brief/ rough) 曆 (Calendar)

I am not quite sure what '略曆' (brief Calendar) means. I have never heard of this term. My guess is, it is an old term (may be Japanese only) for '月曆' (monthly calendar) which is brief in details, unlike '日曆' (daily calendar) which list much more detailed information about each day on the Calendar

This painting might be the original art work for reproduction on a calendar

| improve this answer | |
  • 略歷(shinjitai: 略歴) I searched Internet but only find this. It's a Janpanese word and means "brief personal record". I think that's a handwritting mistake. – 炸鱼薯条德里克 Sep 27 '18 at 1:42
  • 略歴 is certainly Japanese and it could refer to something like a brief resumé or CV. – Mo. Sep 27 '18 at 15:02

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.