In this context,

• 缘 = potential relationships, connection
  • 路人 = average Joe, random person, total stranger
  • 观众 = audience, viewer

路人缘 (路人緣)and 观众缘 (觀眾緣) pretty much means the same thing. They are used to describe if an actor/character has a feel which naturally appeal the first time viewer/stranger (similar to Love at first sight).

They are like an attribute. So good “观众缘” means this person is popular/in favor.

I crossed out TV friendly from the list, because it means something else. I thought about congenial feel, affinity for audience, feel which naturally appeal audience..........but nothing sound right

• Are you looking for the word charming, relatable, or down-to-earth? – droooze Aug 28 '18 at 12:57
  • Charm would be the word. – NS.X. Aug 29 '18 at 7:03
  • @droooze similar to the suggestion of using "popular". I felt charm is too strong, I would not use charm to describe Baymax, Mr.bean... – Hh810674 Aug 29 '18 at 8:37

Edit:

After reading my take on the comments, I have convinced myself that 观众缘 means audience appeal

人缘(n) = popularity

路人缘 = general appeal /popularity among common folks

观众缘 = audience appeal / popularity among viewers/ audience

有人缘 = popular

有观众缘 = popular among viewers/ audience

~

Since there's a lively discussion in the comments section arguing about the definition of 人缘, 观众缘, I would give my two cents here.

缘 is something like a 'fated connection', The chance of any two people in different parts of the world would meet is extremely tiny, but somehow people from different part of the world do meet. We called this connection between them 有缘.

when we say someone 有人缘, we are saying this person seemingly fated to connect with many many people, in other words, he is popular among people. People seemingly draw to him by fate.

有观众缘 just replace 人缘 with 观众缘, meaning audience seemingly draw to that person with no apparent reason.

We would not say a super star 有观众缘, because he is so good that people love him for his talent, but we often say a new artist or second string performer 有观众缘-- the audience just like him, as if fate decided so

May be the reason for some audience to like a performer is actually his looks, personality or demeanor. It all seems mysterious to the other audience who can't see anything attractive about the same performer

• Doesn't really sound right to say xxx looks popular among viewers/ audience. Because popularity sound like a thing developed over a period of time, not a first sight thing. – Hh810674 Aug 28 '18 at 7:22
  • unlike 眼缘, 人缘 is not a first sight thing, 有人缘 just means you are good at making people like you – Tang Ho Aug 28 '18 at 7:31
  • Regards of actor/character, there're three groups: 粉丝(fans), 黑子(opposite to fans, ppl who don't like the actor), and 路人(ppl who neither love or hate the actor), so a good 路人缘 means this actor attracts not only 粉丝 but also 路人. I think this answer is quite precise. – Kevin. Fang Aug 28 '18 at 7:35
  • To my understanding, 路人緣 is more like 眼缘 than 人缘。Do you happen to have a word for 眼缘? tks – Hh810674 Aug 28 '18 at 7:59
  • 合眼缘 means ' good first impression' e.g. "這女孩很很合我眼缘" ( this girl makes good first impression on me) ; 靠眼缘 means 'depend on the first impression" e.g "選新車靠眼缘" (choosing a new car depend on the first impression) – Tang Ho Aug 28 '18 at 8:10

here means an ability or qualification to build up a good relationship. 观众缘 can be an ability or qualification to build up a good relationship with the audience.

I don't know if you can find a fixed English equivalent for them. So, the interpretation could be various according to the context.

For example,

她很有观众缘 // she is a very attractive woman to the audience.

他有路人缘 // he is attractive to strangers.

他观众缘很差 // he has no luck to gain the favor of his audience.

• I feel like attractive is too strong. Say, I like Mr bean's character design (funny, weird, but not violence) at first sight, but don't find Mr bean attractive. – Hh810674 Aug 28 '18 at 8:02
  • @Hh810674 you should interpret it based on the context. I am not sure if you can find a fixed English equivalent for it. Another example, 他观众缘很差 can be "he has no luck to gain the favor of his audience." Again, the interpretation is pretty variable. It all relies on the context. – dan Aug 28 '18 at 8:05
  • @Hh810674, Can you put your example into a Chinese sentence? "I like Mr bean's character design (funny, weird, but not violence) at first sight, but don't find Mr bean attractive" – dan Aug 28 '18 at 9:48
  • 我觉得他有种天生的观众缘,hope this helps to clarify the context – Hh810674 Aug 29 '18 at 8:18
  • @Hh810674: Think about what a person really wants to convey when he says 我觉得他有种天生的观众缘. I might picture: 他是那种能够很容易吸引别人眼球的,这中特质是他与生俱来的。 So, with that in mind, I would interpret 我觉得他有种天生的观众缘 as "I think he has sort of an inborn ability to attract the interest of the audience." – dan Aug 29 '18 at 9:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.