I'm learning Sino-Korean vocabulary at the moment and have noticed that many words seem to end in a '子' that doesn't seem to add much semantically to the other character in the word.

What should I take '子' to signify in this case?

http://www.archchinese.com/chinese_english_dictionary.html?find=子 suggests that it can mean 'small thing', but a 獅子 is not a very small thing.

• If you were able to read in Chinese, you could refer to this similar question in 知乎。 – zyy Sep 5 '18 at 21:33
  • @zyy thanks... but I think it will take me a whole lifetime to learn Korean :) – topo morto Sep 5 '18 at 21:48

「子」originally meant child. By extension, through the following sequence, it was further used:

1. To emphasise the smallness of an object.
  2. As a diminutive suffix, conveying a sense of intimacy/endearment.
  3. As a nominal suffix, doubling as a way of transforming a monosyllabic noun to disyllabic.

In the diminutive aspect (指小辭; 지소사), its function is very similar to the examples in the answer given by the question posted here.

In 菓子 and 帽子,「子」may play any one or a combination of the three uses above; the answer is not entirely clear, as the uses are related to one-another. In 獅子, which is obviously not small,「子」is used in sense 3 above and should be seen as the same as —이 in Korean 虎狼이.

Note, non-Mandarin Chinese languages also use diminutives; Cantonese「仔」is cognate to Mandarin「子」.

• This is spot on. Diminutive doesn't mean small. – NS.X. Sep 6 '18 at 3:52

[國] zi5 - Mandarin only

noun suffix added to certain nouns and measure words, e.g. 桌子, 胖子, 亂子, 一下子, etc

子 is a suffix that:

1. emphasize a noun.

2. add one more syllable to a single syllable word to make it more easy to hear

The actual meaning of 子 itself doesn't matter in this role

Similarly, 了 itself means 'finished/ end/ complete', but as a [final particle]( that indicating change of situation) those definitions do not matter

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.