I was reading the story "Little Horse Crosses the River" and encountered the following phrase: "今天你把这袋粮食送到河对岸的村子里去吧." I understand this to mean 'Today, take the bag of grain to the village on the opposite river bank." But I am confused as to what 送到 exactly means and why 去 is at the end of the sentence. I know 送 means to take, but I also know 到 and 去 mean to go and it seems repetitive to use them both to say "Go and take this...." Why are both used and why are they placed where they are?

• 去 means "go" and 到 means (in this context) "to". So Chinese will use both, just like in English you "go to" somewhere. – Rodrigo Sep 22 '18 at 17:02

"今天你把这袋粮食送到河对岸的村子里去吧."

送 is the main verb and 到 is a result complement in this case. 到 might be understood as to in English. I.e. 送到家里: take it to home(inside).

去 here is an indicator of the direction of moving/going, as in 上去,下去,到外面去,里面去, etc. So, 村子里去 denotes going the direction of inside of village.

You could say

你把这袋粮食送到河对岸的村子里

The difference of it with

你把这袋粮食送到河对岸的村子里去吧

is, with a "去", it emphasizes more on the completion of delivery.

你把这袋粮食送到河对岸的村子里 is more of an emphasis on the action itself.

送到 is a single word here.

KEY defines 送到 as:

1. deliver to
  2. (successfully) deliver

So we have this little thing going on:

把...送到....去

Which I'm sure you understand as you already translated it as "go and take this."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.