I tried to translate these characters but I´m not sure. Am I right?

I have more difficulties for the last 3.

勁直凌霄节傾斜帶兩枝 戊子初春 X子X

It could be something like that, no?

enter image description hereStraight slanting section with two branches Spring of the Wuzhi year (Which one?) XXX?

Could you help me?

Be indulgent. I´m a beginner ;-)

Thanks

Simon

the text is:

勁直凌霄節.傾斜帶雨枝

戊子初春 柳子谷

i've impression that it's an inscription of a painting. the painter asked mr 柳子谷 to write it. the time is 戊子年, 2008-60i (2008, 1948, . . .), 初春 is the first month of spring.

the painting would be about bamboo (竹).

節 means bamboo joint (竹節). the metaphor is:

bamboo --> nobleman (君子)

勁直 ~ strong and upright, straightly without branch

凌霄 ~ a bamboo grow upwards, towards the sky

at the same time, bamboo is also flexible, that in adverse situation, like downpour, cats and dogs (--> 帶雨), it can be bent (--> 傾斜), [枝] without breaking.

so, bamboo grow skywards straightly, with flexibility to bent in adverse situation.

--> nobleman (君子) always strive for good moral and behaviour, would make compromise, in case.

The last 3 characters are 柳子谷, an artist's name and the ninth character is 雨. But I am not quite confident about the meanings.

EDIT:

Ah I see: 凌霄 is 凌霄花, 凌霄带雨 is a metaphor for adamancy and bravery.

EDIT 2:

See the comments below (*°∀°)=3

• The original passage is 勁直凌寒節,傾斜帶雨枝 – droooze Oct 5 '18 at 1:49
  • @droooze Ah, But here it is obviously 霄... – Toosky Hierot Oct 5 '18 at 1:51
  • Yep, this is a variation on that by the artist I think. – droooze Oct 5 '18 at 1:52
  • @droooze Quite true. But 劲节 is solely used for eulogy for bamboo, so I incline to regard it a mistake. – Toosky Hierot Oct 5 '18 at 1:58
  • It is written in 戊子年初春 by 柳子谷, I think the topic is 竹子 bamboo – Jacob Oct 5 '18 at 2:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.