In this video at time stamp 0:07 the Taiwanese speaker (according to the subtitles) says:

我們現在是在臺北。。。

However the what she actually says for 現在 is one syllable that sounds like /xia1/ to me.

What am I hearing? Is this a complete other word, or is it a common contraction of 現在?

2 Answers 2

This happens frequently in oral expressions. Yes, this is a "contraction" as you stated. The context is specific to everybody, so the speaker can shorten some words to express more information. Here the full word /xiànzài/ is shortened as something like /xià(n)ài/, where the sound /z/ and the nasal sound are in fact pronounced but in a very short period, and the recording seems like that the one just omitted /z/, /n/. You could try yourself by reading the word "现在" as quick as possible without altering the leading consonants [or, to be more exact, 声母] the tone and the vowels [韵母], and you might get the same result.

haha, yes, you are right, it's a voice, you don't care it. there are many voice, my mean is accent,,, hope you can understand

• Bruce, people are downvoting your answer, but I think the reason is that it's hard to understand your meaning. I don't want you to feel discouraged for contributing though, or penalized for not having good English. 你可以寫你的注意用中文嗎?
    – pixelearth
    Oct 9, 2018 at 19:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.