Is this pinyin alphabet used to spell in Chinese Sign Language? Otherwise, which one is used in Mainland China?

enter image description here

• I don’t speak Chinese sign language, but the figure caption says »Chinese sign language alphabet«, and the special signs for Chinese letter combinations that are explicitly part of Hanyu pinyin (zh, ch, sh, ng) (it est: mainland China) sort of give it away, too. What makes you think otherwise? – Philipp Oct 10 at 16:23
  • @Philipp it's the only sorce, which for the most widely spoken language in the world is quite suspicious. – GJC Oct 10 at 16:45
  • I don't think that depends on Mainland China/Taiwan/Hongkong – 神秘德里克 Oct 11 at 9:16

This matches some intro materials I was shown in Changchun. I think it's the mainland standard. It's also repeated in a few places around the net if you baidu it.

I have to say though, the standardization of Chinese sign language is a work in progress, the signers I met in Changchun were an extremely heterogeneous bunch language-wise, it was amazing the sheer diversity of signs they would accept for common phrases. And pinyin was not exactly their favorite toolkit, it's much harder to remember if you're deaf. So your mileage on the ground may vary, good luck with this project, whatever it is!

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.