So the word 学姐 is gender specific to woman so what about 学长? Is it only use for male? And if so is 学兄 for all gender?

2 Answers 2


From my experience, 学兄, for male only, is understandable, but is rarely used.

学姐 is used more than 学兄.

学长 is common and gender neutral, although it's more common among men than women.

I also heard of 学弟,学妹.

  • 学长 is not gender neutral.
    – zyy
    Commented Oct 25, 2018 at 15:25
  • @zyy I think it's ok to address a girl as 学长, although it's often used among men.
    – dan
    Commented Oct 25, 2018 at 15:32
  • Well, I would not recommend that use, since I have never heard of it.
    – zyy
    Commented Oct 25, 2018 at 15:35
  • @dan In my university we never use 学兄 actually. Instead, we use 学长 to address a boy from higher grade. Commented Oct 26, 2018 at 2:03
  • @TooskyHierot, yeah, I think that's the common sense. But I wouldn't be surprised if someone take a girl as his/her 学长.
    – dan
    Commented Oct 26, 2018 at 3:12

Both 学长 and 学兄 are gender specific and refer to male.

It is however, not common to say 学兄,you would say 师兄。

For a female, you would say 学姐 or 师姐。

  • 师兄 is usually used in some scenario like you and certain male are both supervised by the same instructor to conduct academic research while you are a freshman and the male is about to graduate, so I would not recommend to call someone 师兄 if he is merely a 学长 to you.
    – xbh
    Commented Oct 25, 2018 at 15:29
  • @xbh It is a commonly admitted convention, but there are people who do not have a preference.
    – zyy
    Commented Oct 25, 2018 at 15:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.