So the word 学姐 is gender specific to woman so what about 学长? Is it only use for male? And if so is 学兄 for all gender?

From my experience, 学兄, for male only, is understandable, but is rarely used.

学姐 is used more than 学兄.

学长 is common and gender neutral, although it's more common among men than women.

I also heard of 学弟,学妹.

| improve this answer | |
  • 学长 is not gender neutral. – zyy Oct 25 '18 at 15:25
  • @zyy I think it's ok to address a girl as 学长, although it's often used among men. – dan Oct 25 '18 at 15:32
  • Well, I would not recommend that use, since I have never heard of it. – zyy Oct 25 '18 at 15:35
  • @dan In my university we never use 学兄 actually. Instead, we use 学长 to address a boy from higher grade. – Toosky Hierot Oct 26 '18 at 2:03
  • @TooskyHierot, yeah, I think that's the common sense. But I wouldn't be surprised if someone take a girl as his/her 学长. – dan Oct 26 '18 at 3:12

Both 学长 and 学兄 are gender specific and refer to male.

It is however, not common to say 学兄,you would say 师兄。

For a female, you would say 学姐 or 师姐。

| improve this answer | |
  • 师兄 is usually used in some scenario like you and certain male are both supervised by the same instructor to conduct academic research while you are a freshman and the male is about to graduate, so I would not recommend to call someone 师兄 if he is merely a 学长 to you. – xbh Oct 25 '18 at 15:29
  • @xbh It is a commonly admitted convention, but there are people who do not have a preference. – zyy Oct 25 '18 at 15:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.