Someone sent me this:

所有这些塑料袋都来自于周边非洲国家,因为他们经常应用这种黑色袋子。

And when I translated it sounded offensive.

• Google translate gives a fairly decent translation, albeit not perfect. Not sure what the issue is. translate.google.com/#zh-CN/en/… [All of these plastic bags come from neighboring African countries because they often use this black bag.] – Mo. Oct 29 '18 at 4:54
  • Offensive? What results did you get? – 炸鱼薯条德里克 Oct 29 '18 at 6:48

The Google Translation of this sentence is direct and quite accurate:

所有这些塑料袋都来自于周边非洲国家,因为他们经常应用这种黑色袋子。
All of these plastic bags come from neighboring African countries because they often use this black bag.

It breaks down as follows:

All 所有 of these 这些 plastic bags 塑料袋 come from 来自于 neighboring 周边 African 非洲 countries 国家 because 因为 they 他们 often 经常 use 应用 this [kind of] 这种 black 黑色 bag 袋子.

As far as I can tell (bearing in mind that I'm just a learner), it's not directly rude. The "black" only refers to color of the plastic bags, and I don't see any connection with race.

I guess it implies African people in the nearby country (or countries) tend to be litterbugs, and they allow their rubbish to blow into neighboring countries, which might be a bit insulting.

| improve this answer | |
    I agree. I don't feel any insulting. Evil guess is OP is American, he/she can't bear the word "black". – 炸鱼薯条德里克 Oct 29 '18 at 6:50
  • This is half of the conversation. The topic was about people polluting the ocean. The person showed a picture from China. In the picture, there was alot of trash that was harming sea/land creatures. I don't know if the person was implying that the black bags on the beach were caused by African countries or the meaning was just lost in translation.It seems like I wasn't the only one that got confused. – Therissa Toussaint Oct 30 '18 at 22:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.