Quick question: I will be going to a local supermarket here in Taipei. How do I ask for "free-range chicken eggs"? According to google translate its "自由放养的鸡蛋." Is this correct?

It is literally correct, but no one would use it, except Mr. Shakespeare.

土鸡蛋, or 笨鸡蛋 is the one.

And the universal is 家养的, e.g. 家养的鸡蛋, 家养的鸭子, 家养的鹅...

In my home area, people also say 溜达鸡, 溜达 means stroll.

• 家养的鸡 can be living in a cage for its entire life, it is still better than the factory farm though – Tang Ho Nov 9 '18 at 12:42

The term could be regional. I will suggest 散养鸡的鸡蛋 or散养鸡的蛋. Maybe 散养的鸡蛋 or 散养鸡蛋 can also work.

Colloquially it is known as 土鸡蛋.

The Pleco Dictionary by Pleco defines it as:

eggs laid by home-kept chicken; free-range eggs

Luckily for you Liang'an (a Taiwanese based dictionary) also mentions:

指農家放養在山坡的雞所下的蛋。蛋殼較厚、蛋清較稠,營養價值較高。陸 也作「笨雞蛋」。

Which also supports the idea of the eggs being "free-range," it also mentions that Mainland also sometimes refers to them as 笨鸡蛋.

• 土鸡蛋 sounds like 'local farm's chicken's eggs', yes they are likely be free-range-chicken's eggs, but 'free-range-chicken' doesn't translated back to 土鸡 – Tang Ho Nov 9 '18 at 9:38
  • @TangHo Actually, most dictionaries translate 土鸡 as "free-range chicken," and Chinese dictionaries also mention that 土鸡 means something along the lines of “放养于野外,不以人工饲料饲养的.” – user3306356 Nov 9 '18 at 9:50
  • And I would say the term 土鸡 also implies 'local chicken' which the English term 'free-range chicken' doesn't imply. – Tang Ho Nov 9 '18 at 9:53
  • @TangHo Sure, but everything is about context. – user3306356 Nov 9 '18 at 9:59

'自由放养的鸡蛋' is almost there (what? the eggs run free?), but '自由放养鸡隻的鸡蛋'(free-range chicken's egg) would be more accurate.

However, it is too wordy for a commercial product's name, I think '放养鸡蛋' is a more suitable translation in marketing sense.

Basically, most people refer '自由放养的鸡' as '放养鸡' because the full description is really a mouthful.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.