I was reading a conversation and came to these sentences :

爸爸 :双十一是什么?

妈妈 :就是11月11号的网上购物节,在网上买东西很便宜。

I was wondering why it's 号 instead of 日. I then checked it on the dictionary and found out that 号 can mean "the day of the month".

I have looked for an answer but not sure whether or not what I found is correct. It's said that 日 is more formal than 号 and that 号 is used when you speak casually. Is that true? And is there any more difference between both words?

Thank you.

Yes, what you said is correct for your context.
    – dan
    Nov 13, 2018 at 14:28
  • X 号 originally means Number X, but still used for day of month in spoken language, X 日 is used in written language.
    – xenophōn
    Jun 18, 2019 at 11:00

5 Answers 5

You are correct, 日 is more formal than 号。

When chatting with someone, you would normally use 号 instead of 日,in this case, saying 日 feels a little bit weird.

But when you are writing a document, you would want to use 日 unless you are writing a transcript of people chatting with each other.

日:day;号:the rank number

11号:the 11th day of the month. But Chinese prefer a concise expression, just 11th,that is 11号

在表达日期时候,日和号是同样的意思。但其他情况不一定。日通常表示day, 号通常表示number

If you're specifically talking about mentioning dates, then you have understood this correctly. I have never seen 号 on my work documents or when I was signing contracts in China. I see 年——月——日 every time instead. In colloquial speech, 号 is used.

如果表示日期的时候既有月又有日,比如

11月11日, 11月11号

没什么区别。

如果只说日,不带月,应该用号,比如

我5号的时候有个会议。

如果这里用5日,不自然。

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.