I want to ask close friends (both in Cantonese and Mandarin) what they'd like for souvenirs.

“What/do you like anything from (Japan)?”

How do I say this in both languages?

Thanks

Edit:

user3306356 wrote

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure 手信 doesn't work globally in Mandarin.

You are correct, 手信 is a Cantonese term, Don't think all Mandarin speakers know this term.

Edit 2:

• 紀念品 (Souvenirs) or 土特產 (native products) from other place that you give to your friends as gift is known as "手信" in Cantonese

• Since there's no equivalent in Mandarin, we can only use either 紀念品 or 土特產 in Mandarin sentences

Edit 3:

chouhy suggested '伴手禮' is the equivalent of '手信', although 手信 must came from far away place, and '伴手禮' can be locally bought, I do agree "美國帶回來的手信" in Cantonese could be translated as "美國帶回來的伴手禮" in Mandarin, because the sentence indicated the gift is from 美國, not from a local store .

~

What/do you like anything from (Japan)?

Mandarin:

"想要什麼紀念品/ 土特產?" - "what souvenirs/ native products gift you want?"

"想要一些(日本的)紀念品/ 土特產嗎?" - "Do you want some souvenirs/ native products gift (from Japan)?"

Cantonese:

"想要乜嘢手信?"

"想唔想要啲(日本嘅)手信?"

Beside "紀念品" (souvenirs) 手信 are mostly "土特產" (native products/ local products)

If you visit Toronto, the 手信 (gift) you take home for friends would be either a Maple Lefts Hockey team T-shirt (souvenirs); or a bottle of maple syrup (native products)

手信 can also be souvenirs/ native products from your home town. For example, if you are from Toronto and you are visiting Hong Kong, the gifts you give to your Hong Kong friends would also be (多倫多的)手信

• Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure 手信 doesn't work globally in Mandarin. – user3306356 Nov 15 '18 at 2:41
  • @user3306356 you are correct, answer edited – Tang Ho Nov 15 '18 at 4:13

Tang Ho wrote

Since there's no equivalent in Mandarin, we can only use either 紀念品 or 土特產 in Mandarin sentences

Which is not correct, there is another equivalent in Mandarin. 伴手禮, I believe is a better word to use.

• Can 伴手禮 be something that is not 土特產 or 紀念品 from other place? If it cannot be, then it would be equivalent of 手信 in Cantonese (If you visit Toronto and give a bottle of maple syrup to your Toronto friend, it can only be called '礼物' not '手信') – Tang Ho Nov 16 '18 at 12:41
  • I have never heard of the term 伴手禮 before. Of course, if the maple syrup was made in China, then it would certainly be a 手信 – Tang Ho Nov 16 '18 at 12:45
  • Anything that is 土特產 or 紀念品 will also be 伴手禮. – chouhy Nov 17 '18 at 16:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.