I have hard time making clear distinction between 覺得 and 想.

According to the dictionary:.
- 想:to think / to believe / to suppose / to wish / to want / to miss (feel wistful about the absence of sb or sth).
- 覺得:to think / to feel.

What confuses me is the meaning of "to think". It is often overused to express many things: personal opinion, judgement, feelings...

Note:.
I understand the use of 想 to express missing something or someone, ex: 我很想媽媽。

see long lists of dictionary examples for either, e.g. in bkrs, 想 and 觉得 are not considered synonyms, bkrs: :syn。相关: 念, 怀念, 思, 思念, 思量, 想念, 感念, 感怀, 朝思暮想, 眷念, 眷恋, 纪念 觉得 :syn.同义①: 感到, 感觉 同义②: 认为, 以为 相关: 认为, 以为, 道, 看, 当, 认为 and 觉得 are close in meaning, see discussion of these on the web – user6065 Nov 17 '18 at 5:18

As you learned from dictionaries, 想 and 覺得 have meanings that are not overlapped.

When it comes to the overlapped meaning 'think', the different between 想 and 覺得 are as below:

"我[想]机会不是很大" - "I [think] the chance is not great" (thinking mainly base on imagination/ judgment; mostly a prediction)

"我[覺得]机会不是很大" - "I [think] the chance is not great" (thinking mainly base on feeling; mostly a hint/ feeling)

Both '想' and '覺得' describe 'expressing opinion' , but with different base. If you what to emphasize the opinion is base on judgment after some consideration, you should use '想'; If you what to emphasize the opinion is base on a hint or some feeling, you should use '覺得'

More example:

我(想)德國隊會赢 - in your judgment, team Germany will win (base on the past record and the skill level gap between the two teams)

我(覺得)德國隊會赢 - you personally feel Germany will win (just a hint, because they seem like a winner)

• Thanks a lot @tang-ho for the explanations. Now it is much more clear. – AJN Nov 17 '18 at 6:47

just remember "觉得" means "to feel" , not "to think" in the dictionary you use

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.