On an antique shotgun I was told had Korean origin I found the following (what I presume are Hanja?) characters. Four out of five I believe I have correctly identified. One character I could not find in the dictionary.

Side A:


Side B:

絞 筒

The unknown character is three stacked components in this basic form


Though, the bottom component might well be ; there is quite a bit of tarnish obscuring it.

On Side A, the two characters that follow the unknown one seem to indicate "special manufacture".

One Side B, I get the translation "hang" or "twist" for character one, and "tube" for character two. To me, this might indicate the process of rifling, but I could not find any use of these characters on the Chinese character entry for rifling, and the barrel is old and I couldn't tell conclusively if it'd ever undergone that process.

Can someone help me translate these characters?

† I Originally I posted this on the Korean stack because I thought they may use Chinese characters in some idiomatic way that might make it a more suitable place, but now I am thinking that probably doesn't make much difference, and also I am not confident about the gun's Korean origins so am posting here. Thanks.


I was able to take some acceptable close up imagery:

Side A

Side B

  • A photo of the gun would be helpful. If this is not possible, please provide the stacked components in ideographic description sequence format, as that would give a better indication of the spatial relationship between the components.
    – dROOOze
    Commented Nov 22, 2018 at 22:52
  • 1
    @droooze Updated.
    – 1252748
    Commented Nov 22, 2018 at 23:04
  • I’ll refrain from answering twice, so see also korean.stackexchange.com/questions/4907/….
    – dROOOze
    Commented Nov 23, 2018 at 3:02

2 Answers 2


This is a Japanese character. By using Sogou Typewritting (Chinese) you can use this method to see any character that you can't pronounce:

for example, you wanna look at “特” ==type "u" + "niu"(→牛) + "si"(→寺)

——this would give you “特”

so I tried to type "u人布” or "u入布" and could not find this character. So this might be a japanese character.


these're kanji, japanese related :)

anyway, a shotgun (散弾銃) has barrel (筒); such barrel has two types, "平筒", or "絞筒".

here're several related web pages in japanese:



i would suggest op try to ask in japanese stack exchange :)

  • Thanks! I will definitely cross post over there. When you say, "such a barrel has two types", can you please explain the difference between 平筒 and 絞筒?
    – 1252748
    Commented Nov 23, 2018 at 14:29
  • 1
    not lah :( i 've no knowledge of gun, these two terms are kanji, japanese people would give you a more precise explanation than me. have fun :) Commented Nov 23, 2018 at 14:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.